Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Converting from fresh to salt
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
norcal_tomtom707
Members

PostPosted: 2009.08.04(Tue)9:41    Post subject: Converting from fresh to salt Reply with quote

OK, so I was thinking about converting one of my 55 gallon tanks over to a salt water tank. I was talking to my LFS, and thery told me, that it wouldnt ve that hard, or expensive at all, especially since I only want to do a non-living tank, meaning, a mostly fish, non coral/reef tank. They said the only thing I would need is crushed coral, or sand, sea salt, and extra filtration, maybe a protein skimmer, Thats about it. What do you think?? Mayby something like this...maybe a few live rock here an there, but nothing extravagent. I honestly just don't liek the looks of a reef tank, and real coral. But thats just my opinion. And by no mean is a dis on anyone who does it..

Dusko
Moderators

PostPosted: 2009.08.04(Tue)12:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
especially since I only want to do a non-living tank...

That aquarium type is called FOWLR or Fish Only With Live Rock Smile
I would strongly advise you to use a skimmer. How strong this skimmer will be should depend on how many fish you intend to keep. The more fish the stronger the skimmer should be.

Quote:
maybe a few live rock here an there, but nothing extravagent.

When it comes to Live Rock (LR) I would advise you to get 1kg per 10 litres of water as a rule of thumb. Even this can be calculated with the stronger the skimmer the less LR, the less fish the less LR is needed... you get the point Wink

Quote:
and extra filtration

you should try and create a circulation of at least 10 x the tank volume per hour.

Quote:
I honestly just don't liek the looks of a reef tank, and real coral.

IMO, it is much easier maintaining a marine tank which is stocked with Soft Corals like Sinularia sp. Lobophyton, Musrooms, etc ... since these corals uptake nutrients which tend to build up in portable reefs.
Quote:

They said the only thing I would need is crushed coral, or sand, sea salt, and extra filtration, maybe a protein skimmer, That's about it. What do you think??

The folk from your LFS or didn't have time to advise you or are only interested in money making or you didn't listen properly Very Happy

The most important thing you need to do is to CYCLE that tank of yours especially if that LR is not cured.

In our article section you can find lots of info on how to run a marine tank responsibly, have a good read Wink

Regards, Dusko
Members

PostPosted: 2009.08.10(Mon)23:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome, thanks a lot for the input, I know the saltwater is going to be more patience, and going to take my time with it.
MarkLehr
Moderators

PostPosted: 2009.08.15(Sat)5:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition to cycling the tank, it is very important to allow the tank to mature. Over the course of 2 or 3 months following the cycle, you will see many visible changes in the aquarium.

1) Copepod and amphipod populations will begin to flourish, becoming visible to the naked eye on the glass and in the sand bed.
2) A diatom algae bloom will have its run, covering rock with a brown dusting. This diatom bloom will go away on its own.
3) Coraline algae will begin to encrust your live rock and glass.
4) Nitrate readings will begin to DROP, as the bacteria in your live rock and sand bed mature and effective denitrification begins.
5) Alkalinity and calcium levels will become more predictable, and your test results and supplementation will be more routine.

All of these things are what the experienced marine keeper means by the word "mature" or "established". These things are important in predicting the stability of your system and should be considered critical in helping you determine which types of fish you are ready to purchase, even for a FOWLR system.

By the way, I would highly recommend that you add adequate amounts of rock. You can "seed" the aquarium with 5 or 10 pounds of live rock, and then add an additional 50 pounds or so of dry rock. I personally use www.marcorocks.com for all of my dry rock needs. My current 180 was set up with 200 pounds of dry rock and 40 pounds of live rock.

I also have to support the importance of the protein simmer. This will be your most important piece of equipment. In fact, I run all of my marine aquariums using only live rock, sand, and a protein skimmer.
norcal_tomtom707
Members

PostPosted: 2009.08.16(Sun)0:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK thanks a lot for the input. I actually found a hob filter on dr foster and smith. And they have a built in protein skimmer on it.would that work as the skimmer? Or should I have a specific protein skimmer?
MarkLehr
Moderators

PostPosted: 2009.08.16(Sun)5:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a number of hang on the back type skimmers for sale today. Some of decent quality.... probably 90% are junk. What exactly is the skimmer you are looking at?
norcal_tomtom707
Members

PostPosted: 2009.08.16(Sun)11:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does not say a brand it just says bio system power filter & oxy surface skimmer with bio filters. Made for fresh or salt water aquariums.
Dusko
Moderators

PostPosted: 2009.08.17(Mon)0:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you mean this one then it is no good Smile
http://www.stm-shop.CO2.uk/acatalog/niagara_skimmer_web.jpg

What you need for bigger tanks is this one, a very good skimmer;
http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/details/skimmers.php?product_ID=DD-P0300

Or if you are to build a sump this one;
http://www.deltecusa.us/turboskimmers/turbo1250.php

I believe you might be better off if you get a All In One Reef Tank like Red Sea Max 130;
http://www.redseamax.com/redseamax/250Temp/redseamax/Red_Sea_MAX_HP_130D.html

http://www.redseafish.com/redseamax/Red_Sea_MAX_specs.html

Regards, Dusko
Moderators

PostPosted: 2009.08.17(Mon)10:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Red Sea Max system looks pretty nice...
but once the tank is set up and you put it against the wall, how do you
access that back filter area? For example if one of those pumps goes out
do you have to drain the tank and move it to replace the pump?
Dusko
Moderators

PostPosted: 2009.08.17(Mon)13:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
For example if one of those pumps goes out
do you have to drain the tank and move it to replace the pump?

One doesn't have to drain the tank Smile everything is made so it is accessible for hands to unscrew the pumps and pull them out. The whole lock is removable and makes it easy to take out all if you like.
It is good to have the sides free of obstacles though, makes it much easier to maintain the pumps.

All in All a very good tank with a very nice design. I maintained one such tank at work for almost two years.

Here you have some customer reviews;
http://www.ultimatereef.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=493&order=desc

Regards, Dusko
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: