Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Can't figure out what type of pond fish I have seen (no pic)
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Nicole
Members

PostPosted: 2009.07.25(Sat)10:30    Post subject: Can't figure out what type of pond fish I have seen (no pic) Reply with quote

I was walking around the pond near my apartment, it is a cement pond with high walls so I can't get right near the edge, and I saw a gold fish, about 10 inches long perhaps, with a flowy tail - but not a fan tail - and a hump which originated in front of its dorsal fin, which wasn't very pronounced. The only large fins are the tail fins, which are more flowy than a koi's. Its body shape is like that of a goldfish, very round - not elongate like a koi. There are no spots of any other color, just a deep orange all over. Have looked through pics in the gallery and on the internet and haven't seen anything which resembles this fish. It isn't a red devil cichlid, the hump is not as pronounced, but the start of the hump is very easy to notice. I live in north central Oklahoma, but I don't know if a tropical fish could survive through the winter. There is a lot of algae in this pond, along with tons of frogs, lots of small perch (I think) and I have seen a few very large carp. Also, in the fall there were THOUSANDS of small orange fish I assumed were comets that swam around the perimeter of the pond. I haven't seen any of those at all this summer. But maybe this big on is a grown up one of those - I don't know.
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: