Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
I find it highly annoying...
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Site Issues  Reply to topic   Post new topic
nikelodeon79
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.07.21(Tue)13:37    Post subject: I find it highly annoying... Reply with quote

when members post questions and then, when they don't like the responses, tote off about how such and such other forum said to do this or that. If you are planning on listening to the advice of other forums, why on earth did you post your question here?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
Fern
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.07.21(Tue)14:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree!
Topper
Advisors

PostPosted: 2009.07.21(Tue)20:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand your point completely, Nik. But it is the same now as it was before the internet. Folks would "hear what they wanted to hear" and go ahead on any advice given that suited their intentions - regardless of the source. I find it aggravating sometimes because the quality of information and advice here is excellent (albeit very conservative at times) and I expect everyone to recognize that.

All I can say is, if I were in my late teens/early twenties I would be questioning everything I read here as well. It took a lot of mistakes to get me to change my outlook and start listening to people who knew better.

But it still pains me to know that in a lot of these cases the fish will undoubtedly suffer. All we can do is try to help.
unissuh
Advisors

PostPosted: 2009.07.22(Wed)1:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink. Laughing

On a more serious note, this *is* the internet, it is well-advised to get a range of opinions and see what makes the most sense. Anyone can post on the 'net, an Exemplar or Advisor tag doesn't necessarily mean what the poster is saying is always right! I'm sure I've posted wrong advice at times.

The way that some people post does tend to aggravate me at times. However, I don't necessarily see the harm in people posting stuff from other forums, it helps them get an idea as to whether the people giving advice have a clue or not and helps us justify the advice we give.
Fla_Larry
Members

PostPosted: 2009.07.22(Wed)7:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

you will find each forum is like it's own little community, with it's own sets of beliefs,

I have been a member on many boards with widely varing beliefs

1 that was primarily filled with fish rights activists. ( that was a real joy there) and leaned heavily towards trying to bring other forums into line with their way of thinking or would bad mouth them if they did not.

1 that swore against the use of AC
1 that swore by the use of AC
1 primary users of Amquel+
1 primary users of Prime
1 most swore anything to aid the cycling was useless
1 that swore many good prods for cycling and was useful

so as you see sometimes it is not so much they wish to be contentious it is just the written word is nortorious for adding inflections or nuances to.

IE I could write a statement that could read one way, but is meant a tottaly differant way.

sometimes they simply post and through poor choice of words are asking why a particular group does something a specific way.

it just reads as if they are trying to stir things up...

Then there are the Trolls . . . .

not much ya can do there, short of simply pity them, they have nothing else to do or they are so miserable they wish others to be the same.
Fern
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.07.22(Wed)7:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey now Topper Not all of use youngings Wink (I'm 26) are deaf to sound advice. I love this forum for the depth of explanation on the advice given. Most of the others I've looked at don't go as in depth as this one does. You guys all seem to have your specialty's too. Nik for betta and cories. Unclewilly for wild caught fish. Just to name a few.
If there is another forum that has advice near the quality of this one I would like to know so I can use it as a cross reference. No I won't do the whole, blah on blah forum said that I could I find it just as annoying. I'm of the opinion that one can never gain enough knowledge and most of my aquarium books are older than I am Laughing
Topper
Advisors

PostPosted: 2009.07.22(Wed)11:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Hey now Topper Not all of use youngings (I'm 26) are deaf to sound advice.

HAHA! You are very accurate, Fern. I'm sorry if I offended you. I was referring only to myself. I could write a book about the foolish things I tried in this hobby when I was younger. Granted, we didn't have the information that is available now at our fingertips - but we did have experts in person (commercial breeders, clubs, private breeders, fellow enthusiasts). Example: When I was told by a Discus breeder not to remove the parents after spawning, I still did (on the advice of a friend with less experience than me). The outcome is obvious but it wasn't the first or last stupid thing I did against the advice of more experienced keepers.

All I can say is that I learned a lot by making mistakes but many fish would have been spared if I had just listened more when I sought advice.
Fern
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.07.22(Wed)12:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

None taken Very Happy I was just picking on you Wink
Examples like yours are the reasons I ask as many questions as I do!
Ciklido
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.07.24(Fri)20:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

I listen, I always listen, its just the actual doing part that gets to you...I mean, people will read here but how many are going to jump off the computer chair or in my case a couch with laptop to obediently do what someone who is "non existent' in the internet told me what to do...Its the fact thet we can't do anything else other than write and send messages.

I just turned 19, and frankly, its not the good advice that brought me to sucesfull fishkeeping, I did everything myself, without anyone helping me or giving me advice.. I filled the tank, 55 gallons, when I was 16, I waited, I put in filter, I did water changes I added gr5avel, I NEVER measured nitrates or anything, then I put in tropical fish, then I got rid of that tank and used the 5 gallon as a n african which I still never measured anything, I go with my own instinct lol.....which is very bad here and does not sound like a valid and reasonble reason, but its what works for me, and problaby its just that the knowledge I read becomes part of my instict.......
Fern
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.07.25(Sat)7:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um Ciklido..... I have
Sometimes when reading on the forum the light just comes on and I say "duh that's what I'm doing wrong" and run and go fix it.
No I don't have a life Wink
 Forum Index > Site Issues All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: