Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Recyling salt water to recharge nitrate resin filter
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jimbob
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.07.16(Thu)14:07    Post subject: Recyling salt water to recharge nitrate resin filter Reply with quote

Not sure if this is in the right forum so mods please relocate if need be.

Is there anything stopping me from using discarded water from my marine tank to recharge a nitrate resin filter?

I use a resin filter to do weekly water changes for my freshwater tank. I run 100ltrs of tap water direct from the cold mains supply through the filter and into the tank (at a rate of @25ltrs an hour). I then recharge the filter each week by dripping 15ltrs of salt water through an air-line tube before reusing. This reduces the nitrates in my tap water to zero (down from about 75ppm).

To recharge the resin filter I mix up a table salt solution with mains tap water which produces a salinity of about 1023. Even though the tap water nitrates are high the process has reliably re-charged the filter for about four years and keeps my tank water nitrate levels at around 20ppm. I flush the resin filter though each week confirming that the salinity and nitrates are zero before doing the next water change.

I also do weekly water changes of 15ltrs each week for my marine tank using Red Sea Coral Salt and home-made RO water that goes in at 1023 salinity and 0ppm nitrates. When discarded the marine water is about 10ppm nitrate and still 1023 salinity.

Logically I cannot see a problem using the discarded water from my marine tank but I don
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: