Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
My desktop nano tanks (9/9)
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
 Forum Index > Photo Album  Reply to topic   Post new topic
unissuh
Advisors

PostPosted: 2009.07.10(Fri)5:15    Post subject: My desktop nano tanks (9/9) Reply with quote

27L shrimp cube
Thought I'd post some pictures of a new tank I've been slowly putting together for the last month since it's been quite quiet around here recently. It sits on my desk at work/the lab'.

Tank planning and hardscape construction. I looked for driftwood that has nice branches but in awkward locations (usually cheaper than really nice pieces). Get out the saw, drill, cable ties and a piece of eggcrate and these pieces can look just as nice as a really expensive piece.

Forgiveness is easier to ask for than permission. Laughing The tank is fairly well concealed, my desk is the one with the blue book on it. The tank is right against the divider.

Tank just after filling, it's a little cloudy due to the gravel. It's just a generic 1-2mm black manmade gravel I got from a LFS. Some pretty standard equipment: AquaOne Cube 30 tank, 300-LV internal filter and 55w heater + some generic 30cm 11w CF reflector. The little colored dots is old fishfood I'm using to fishless cycle the tank.

Some red cherry shrimp I got off a fellow hobbyist through a local fish forum. They sat in one of my tanks at home for a while waiting for this tank to be cycled.

Had some issues with the cycle, but once it was done I planted the tank. Didn't want to plant it before and silent cycle because I'm not running CO2 and the light is only an 11w CF lamp. Plants are Cryptocoryne undulata, Echinodorus tellenus, Vesicularia ferriei, Anubias nana & angustifolia - mostly cuttings/daughter plants from my tank at home. Going to get rid of the filter material and clump of baby tears gradually.

Took a few pictures of the RCS after they were in, but only one ended up being in focus.

34L "low tech" tank
I realized I've never posted much about my desk tank at home before, so I dug up what pictures I could find over the years. Never really been happy with this tank until recently, I kept swapping things at the LFS and changing the stock and layout every 6 months to a year.

March 2006 - Early setup with stock standard AquaOne AR380. I think I was playing around with DIY CO2 at this point. Offhand, I think I had some honey gouramis in at this point.

July 2007 - Discarded inbuilt filter and lights and picked up a lot more plants somewhere along the way. Must've had rummynose tetras in at this point.

June 2009 - Couldn't find any pictures between this one and the last - off memory I didn't keep these sparkling gourami long.

October 2009 - Discarded most of the plants (or moved them) and had mostly a crypt farm. I don't think there were any fish in at this point except a lone Otocinclus.

Now I think I've finally hit a combination of stock and layout that I quite like:

January 2010 - Rescued my desk lamp and downgraded the filter from an AquaClear 30 to a small AquaOne internal.

Moved in some RCS and duckweed from my shrimp cube.

Also the new stock: Pseudomugil gertrudae or "spotted blue-eyes", Wenlock River variety. They school quite tightly and tend to stay towards the top of the tank. I've been on the lookout for these for several months now and luckily managed to catch them unpacking this lot, the owner was going to keep them for himself. They apparently tend to frequent slow moving, un-turbid, well planted, soft & acidic regions - however are meant to also thrive in alkaline conditions. Perfect, as while the Onyx Sand I have as substrate is great for growing plants, it does raise the pH a bit too high (7.8-8.0) to be ideal for many nano species.

Last edited by unissuh on 2010.09.08(Wed)21:15; edited 21 times in total
Fern
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.07.10(Fri)11:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it. I may have to do a 'journal' on the next tank I set up.
blodhi74
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.07.22(Wed)15:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it.
underOATH87
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.07.29(Wed)3:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

awsome, now you got something to distract you from doing your job, LOL. Really nice looking tank, love what you did with your wood work.

Myspace Mobsters Forum: www.mademen.org
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
unissuh
Advisors

PostPosted: 2009.09.01(Tue)5:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of pictures from a couple of months on:

I reckon theres easily 100+ shrimp in there now, critters breed like crazy. It's awesome for distracting other people who come to ask me things.

Last edited by unissuh on 2009.09.07(Mon)7:28; edited 1 time in total
Pavlos
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.09.01(Tue)5:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice tank... I really like the red shrimps Smile
determinator
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.09.01(Tue)8:50    Post subject: ... Reply with quote

Very nice tank. We all want one at work but it really takes devotion to make it happen.
I'm really curious to know what substrate, and if you dose anything to have such success with plants without CO2, because I'm just a week into my first planted tank.
unissuh
Advisors

PostPosted: 2009.09.01(Tue)19:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is minimal effort involved in caring for this tank. Laughing

The plants were chosen because they are basically like weeds - crypts, moss, duckweed and chain swords are known to infest tanks with minimal effort. Short of leaving Anubias sp out in the sun, they're practically impossible to kill. Almost all the plants are heavy root feeders and require minimal (if any) trimming...again, less effort to maintain them.

The gravel is just inert 1-2mm black gravel - black because it makes the color of the plants/shrimp show up nicely. Since I have inert gravel, I put 2-3 Seachem root tabs in the substrate at the beginning to get the plants started. There is also some peat moss buried in the substrate under the eggcrate, a trick that is meant to mature the substrate faster.

Lights are on for 10 hours. I dose no fertilizers. I just feed the shrimp in the morning when I get in (or not feed on weekends). In the few months the tank has been setup, I've changed 30% of the water twice and scraped some green spot algae once - otherwise no issues at all.
blodhi74
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.09.11(Fri)18:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

very nice
tonergirl
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.09.12(Sat)7:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Pretty cool!! Very Happy If I had something like that on my desk, I wouldn't be getting much work done because I'd I'd be staring at it all day, watching the shrimp, LOL
 Forum Index > Photo Album All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to: