Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Cloudy Water & Hair/String Algae in Betta Bowl
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks  Reply to topic   Post new topic
jeffnyc
New Members

PostPosted: 2009.06.15(Mon)8:37    Post subject: Cloudy Water & Hair/String Algae in Betta Bowl Reply with quote

Hello!

I have planted Dwarf Hairgrass (Pottted) two varieties from two sources, in sand, in my 5 gallon Betta fishbowl (no filter). Both are clouding the water and I am experiencing String Algae. Someone recommended Algaefix to clear the water.

I would like a lush ground cover on the bottom of the bowl that is low maintenance. Any suggestions? Rony Suzuki planted Hemianthus callitrichoides in a miniature aquarium... see his post: http://www.aquahobby.com/tanks/e_tank0603.php

Any suggestions on a hardy, low maintenance ground cover for a large Betta Bowl would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!
Jeff
schaadrak
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.06.15(Mon)14:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no type of plant that will cloud the water or cause algae blooms.
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.06.15(Mon)15:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, how much lighting do you have in the tank? How much do you fertilize? How often do you do water changes?

Carpet plants in general tend to be temperamental and high-maintenance. You'll probably have to dose CO2 and other ferts (if you're not doing so already,) and have strong lighting to get that 'carpet.'
jeffnyc
New Members

PostPosted: 2009.06.16(Tue)8:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Keeno!

I have the bowl within 10 feet of my large eastern facing windows (plenty of light).

I have placed a number of Flourish Tabs (iron, manganese, magnesium, calcium, potassium, insitol, choline B12, biotin) in the sand to promote growth... the most likely cause for the water being greenish brown.

I change the water once a week.

I have to look into other fertilizers and CO2 as I am new to this and need to do some research.

Someone had mentioned that they used Algaefix and their aquarium cleared up within a day and was wondering if you had any experience with the product?

Any suggestions or insights would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!
Jeff
jeffnyc
New Members

PostPosted: 2009.06.16(Tue)8:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, are the flourish tabs sufficient fertilizer for now?
Darkblade48
Advisors

PostPosted: 2009.06.16(Tue)16:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeffnyc wrote:
I have the bowl within 10 feet of my large eastern facing windows (plenty of light).

This uncontrollable light source is probably the reason you have an algae problem. The cloudy water may be an algal bloom or a bacterial bloom. What are your water parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, etc) like? How long has this tank been set up?

Do you have any kind of artificial lighting over the tank?

jeffnyc wrote:
I have placed a number of Flourish Tabs (iron, manganese, magnesium, calcium, potassium, insitol, choline B12, biotin) in the sand to promote growth... the most likely cause for the water being greenish brown.

Are you sure none of the tablets have been exposed to water? The problem with root tabs is that if they become disturbed, they will release all their nutrients into the water column in an uncontrollable fashion. This would promote rapid algal growth as well.

jeffnyc wrote:
Someone had mentioned that they used Algaefix and their aquarium cleared up within a day and was wondering if you had any experience with the product?

I cannot recommend the usage of chemical Algae removers. There are a multitude of reasons. Firstly, they are adding unnecessary chemicals to your water column. Secondly, algal removers often harm live plants as well. Finally, by removing the algae, you are not addressing the root cause of the problem (I.e. imbalance between light, CO2 and fertilizers).

jeffnyc wrote:
BTW, are the flourish tabs sufficient fertilizer for now?

We need more specifications on your tank (do you inject CO2? This seems to be "no". As such, are you adding any carbon supplement (I.e. Flourish Excel). How about lighting other than the sunlight it receives through the window? How much sunlight does it get a day?)
jeffnyc
New Members

PostPosted: 2009.06.17(Wed)8:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay. So, as much as I hate to do this... it seems I can't do live plants without filtering, etc.

Does anyone have recommendations for excellent, beautiful artificial plants? I don't care about cost, I want these suckers to look totally real!

Thank you!!!
Jeff
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2009.06.17(Wed)9:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeffnyc wrote:
Okay. So, as much as I hate to do this... it seems I can't do live plants without filtering, etc.

Does anyone have recommendations for excellent, beautiful artificial plants? I don't care about cost, I want these suckers to look totally real!

Thank you!!!
Jeff

Why not buy a suitable environment instead?
Dusko
Moderators

PostPosted: 2009.06.18(Thu)1:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi jeffnyc,

Here is my updated Algae ID article on how to create a balanced environment for plants and fish;
http://www.aquariumalgae.blogspot.com/

Quote:

There is no type of plant that will cloud the water

Hi shaadrak Smile,
well I have had plants which cloud water ... melting plants will cloud water. Growing plants with high CO2 demand in a low CO2 environment will very likely cause plant melting and clouding water.

Regards, Dusko
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.07.11(Sat)21:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Touch
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: