Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Hi, can someone help me Id these plants? -pics
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Vanlilium
New Members

PostPosted: 2009.07.20(Mon)21:23    Post subject: Hi, can someone help me Id these plants? -pics Reply with quote

I bought two *Assorted plants*, from a local pond shop. I am keeping them in a desktop 9 gallon tank with 3 wats of light per gallon, crushed coral bedding, and a small gold fish and clawed frog.

Please help me figure out what these things are, also I need some sudgestions on housing a few tough but elegant plants in my tank.

Mr. Frog (not related)

Darkblade48
Advisors

PostPosted: 2009.07.20(Mon)21:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've moved your topic to the Plants and Planted Tanks section of the forums; you will likely get more replies here.

What kind of lighting do you currently have over your 9 gallon tank? The WPG guideline can really only be applied with T12 fluorescent bulbs, and nothing else.

I would be wary of the crushed coral bedding, as it will affect the pH of the water.

I am not too sure on the first plant (the feathery looking one), but the second one appears to be a Vallisneria species.

In addition, I find that goldfish tend to enjoy nibbling on live plants, so you may want to stay with some hardier plants such as Java Fern, Java Moss, Anubias, etc.
Vanlilium
New Members

PostPosted: 2009.07.20(Mon)22:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi, the tank has an 18 inch flurecent *day glow* bulb

Last edited by Vanlilium on 2009.07.20(Mon)23:06; edited 1 time in total
Vanlilium
New Members

PostPosted: 2009.07.20(Mon)22:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, I am worried about the bedding myself... I took it out from my 100 gallon african cichlid tank, as well as filter parts so as to aviod cycling the tank.
Darkblade48
Advisors

PostPosted: 2009.07.21(Tue)0:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vanlilium wrote:

I am not aware of any 18 inch fluorescent bulb that has a wattage of 27 watts.

Vanlilium wrote:
yes, I am worried about the bedding myself... I took it out from my 100 gallon african cichlid tank, as well as filter parts so as to aviod cycling the tank.

I would switch to a more suitable substrate, if possible.
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2009.07.21(Tue)2:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

The feathery looking plant appears to be selaginella which is not an aquatic.

Crushed coral should not be used as substrate - even for African cichlids - but the bigger concern is a goldfish with a clawed frog in a 9g tank?
Vanlilium
New Members

PostPosted: 2009.07.21(Tue)9:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darkblade48 wrote:
Vanlilium wrote:

I am not aware of any 18 inch fluorescent bulb that has a wattage of 27 watts.

Vanlilium wrote:

I would switch to a more suitable substrate, if possible.

What kind of bedding do you recommend?
Vanlilium
New Members

PostPosted: 2009.07.21(Tue)9:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

diademhill wrote:
The feathery looking plant appears to be selaginella which is not an aquatic.

Crushed coral should not be used as substrate - even for African cichlids - but the bigger concern is a goldfish with a clawed frog in a 9g tank?

-Crushed coral, Why not for African cichlids?

- I didn't buy the 9 gallon tank to shove fish in it, I just wanted a good little tank to start experimenting with plants, which I have very limited experience with them and basic laymen knowledge.

They're both in the 9 gallon as a grow out, when they grow larger they will be switched, the clawed frog is going with larger newts and frogs that would eat it at this size. (ie firebelly toads and warty newts) I've wanted a common gold fish for a while but all I can find is tiny feeders, so I just picked one of those up and I am letting it grow.

Anyways, it would be nice if you guys went over the "why" and then gave me suggestions. It's pretty much like: "okay that's all wrong"... erm thanks, now what?

Last edited by Vanlilium on 2009.07.21(Tue)9:44; edited 1 time in total
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2009.07.21(Tue)9:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crushed coral is used to add carbonate hardness but it is abrasive and can damage cichlids if the try and do normal cichlid things like digging and sand sifting. When used it should be in filters or sumps away from the fish.

What are you going to do with the goldfish when it grows? If you have somewhere for it it should be there as soon as it finishes quarantine.

African clawed frogs will eat fish frogs and newts.
Vanlilium
New Members

PostPosted: 2009.07.21(Tue)9:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

diademhill wrote:
Crushed coral is used to add carbonate hardness but it is abrasive and can damage cichlids if the try and do normal cichlid things like digging and sand sifting. When used it should be in filters or sumps away from the fish.

What are you going to do with the goldfish when it grows? If you have somewhere for it it should be there as soon as it finishes quarantine.

African clawed frogs will eat fish frogs and newts.

Well, the newt is about 6 inches without tail so... I really doubt that, and the frog is getting there himself. I have a pond outside for the goldfish.

- Don't goldfish eat any fish that can fit in their mouths or is that just a myth? At the moment my goldfish is small enough to be eaten by the larger ones.

-Weird, I mean on the cichlid forum they always recommend sand as well, I never see any of my fish sifting, then again I can see why. Though they say that using it as a substrate also has advantages over sand, it's easy to clean. Sand is a real pain. It's about the only thing that actaully lets the sand sifting haps sift.

wow talk about off topic... can I get some advice on my 9 gallon please, what kind of substrate... do you recommend?

Last edited by Vanlilium on 2009.07.21(Tue)11:08; edited 1 time in total
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to: