Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
DIY ADA-style Cabinet
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY)  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Barmy
Members

PostPosted: 2009.06.16(Tue)17:48    Post subject: DIY ADA-style Cabinet Reply with quote

Hey guys,

I'm doing some re-arranging in my house right now, and I've ended up with some empty space that I've decided would be perfect for my tanks. I've got two 55g (4' x 15" x 18") tanks that could fit side-by-side against this wall, and I've decided that if I bring the two tanks together, I may as well go the whole distance - new stand, sump filtration, etc etc.

For the stand, I want to copy the ADA design, but obviously bigger than most ADA stands to accommodate the extra length of two tanks (so the stand will be about 8' long).

ADA-style stands are generally made from MDF. The top sheet of MDF sits on top of the side pieces, and the side pieces sit on top of the base piece. A regular 4 foot ADA stand would also have a pine support beam in the centre.

I know the design works, I just need to know how to modify it to hold two 4 foot tanks (and 110g of water). I know I'll need more than one pine support for such a long stand, but how many should I go for? What thickness of MDF should I use?; I know 18mm is enough for a regular 90g stand.

I'm only in the planning stages right now, so any advice would be really useful.
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY) All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: