Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Some general questions
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry  Reply to topic   Post new topic
tripwater
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.06.06(Sat)15:21    Post subject: Some general questions Reply with quote

#1. I have heard / read the phrase 'aggressive skimming' can someone please elaborate as to what this is please? Does this mean you have a larger skimmer than required for your tank size? Or you should not run your skimmer 24/7?

#2. I bought a bag of the "Reefpods" live copepods that you can find here http://reefscavengers.com/reefpods.html I was wondering how much of the copepod stock you have in your tank gets taken up by skimming? I do have a mature tank ( 2+ years with 75 lbs of live rock ) but finding it hard to keep my Mandarine Dragonet happy. I have resorted to target feeding it Cyclone frozen food and other things. Feeding is picking up for it but would like to keep a healthy supply of copepods in the tank. I do not have a refugium to work with so keep that in mind.

#3. I am noticing white spots on my live rock as well as places where the Coraline was, is turning white (bleaching?). What causes this? I use the API test kits and my calcium pretty much stays at 400 ppm and I tested my KH and it was at 8dkh or 143 ppm. I average a water change a week at about 10% using a Deionizing water filter.

My nitrates are between 10-20 which they pretty much stay at no matter what I do.
salinity 1.025
pH 8.3-8.4
Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0

Thanks for any info!
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2009.06.06(Sat)23:20    Post subject: Re: Some general questions Reply with quote

tripwater wrote:
#1. I have heard / read the phrase 'aggressive skimming' can someone please elaborate as to what this is please? Does this mean you have a larger skimmer than required for your tank size? Or you should not run your skimmer 24/7?

Depends on who you talk to. I think like so many other topics

Last edited by FloridaBoy on 2009.06.07(Sun)15:14; edited 1 time in total
tripwater
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.06.07(Sun)6:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the info, you have been very helpful. I read a couple of places that suggested these were great reef fish and easy to care for and accept frozen foods and live crustaceans. I never would have bought it had I not thought I could maintain it as I hate to watch something suffer and starve to death.

Well I have about 75 lbs of live rock and the tank is 2+ years old. I will do my best to keep the little guy going but this is not good news. Sad

Thanks for the info, I appreciate you taking the time. I guess I should have come here first but I thought I did enough research to feel it was a safe purchase.

I did find this article and I think I am going to try the aqua culturing pods in jars to keep a steady supply. It is my only choice to keep this little guy going at this point. Taking him back tot he fish store is not a good idea.
http://joshday.com/mandaringoby.htm
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2009.06.07(Sun)10:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

tripwater wrote:
Thanks for all the info, you have been very helpful. I read a couple of places that suggested these were great reef fish and easy to care for and accept frozen foods and live crustaceans. I never would have bought it had I not thought I could maintain it as I hate to watch something suffer and starve to death....

Yes well you are not alone in believing that delusion, millions upon millions of these creatures have starved to death because of that type of sales tactic. Unfortunately, this is the type of misinformation that could lead to bans on all wild caught reef fish, so it is best if we simply stop buying these (along with Cleaner Wrasses, Parrotfishes, Moorish Idols, etc.) and softly scorn our retailers who continue to offer them.

Again the Mandarins are not impossible to maintain, but they require far more care than most people realize. Now I must take a moment and address the link you posted because others will go and read that, and may be encouraged to attempt the same thing. For anyone who is considering keeping a Mandarin in a 10 gallon tank; this is NOT a good idea. I actually read Mr. Day's article a couple of years ago, and if you read the entire two pages carefully, you will see that even with constant monitoring, an overabundance of pods and elevated care, his Mandarins were on the brink of starvation several times, and one of them actually starved to death. What does that tell you?

The sad part is, Callionymidae are incredibly durable little fish, and they suffer a long time before they finally go down and starve in the average hobbyist's glass box. The hobbyist fishes out the poor dead Mandarin and thinks to himself, "well that one lasted about a year, that's pretty good, I'll go and buy another one." And so the cycle starts all over again.

Our best weapon against this is education, tripwater I salute you for trying to give it the best care, and best wishes for your success my friend.
tripwater
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.06.07(Sun)16:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I second not putting it in a 0 gallon. I posted the link solely based off the aqua culturing of copepods to keep your tank stocked with copepods not for the 10 gallon experiment
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: