Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
DIY Fry Grow-Out
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY)  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Barmy
Members

PostPosted: 2009.05.14(Thu)22:03    Post subject: DIY Fry Grow-Out Reply with quote

As some of you may have read, I recently received my first spawn from my Blue Rams. Unfortunately, the Ram parents stopped guarding their eggs and I've noticed fungus growing on some of them. It's been less than 48 hours since the eggs were laid so I don't know if they should have hatched by now assuming any survivors, but nevertheless I want to be better prepared for the next spawn.

I'm thinking of the best/cheapest way to set up something separate for me to use as a fry grow-out, and I've come up with the following system:

The fry would be held in the 50 litre bucket. The powerhead in the bucket would pump water up into the 100 litre (or thereabouts) bin, which would essentially be a sump. It would contain the filter media and the heater. The overflow pipe would be placed towards the top of the bin, where the water would be cleanest after passing through the filter media, and would flow back down into the tank. I imagine the flow from this would be significantly gentler than the flow coming out of the powerhead, and so this would benefit the vulnerable fry. The powerhead also has an air venturi attachment, so the water would be heavily aerated as it entered the "sump".

The idea of having a "sump" that's even bigger than the actual holding tub is so that the water will be as clean as possible at all times, which I've read is especially important for fragile Ram fry.

I imagine this working fairly well, but I'm interested in any comments or criticisms anyone has. The filter would of course be allowed time to build up beneficial bacteria before it was put to use.
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2009.05.15(Fri)1:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why?
A box filter kept in the main tank gives a ready cycled filter to move to a grow out tank at a moments notice.
Even easiler is jusy nicking a bit of mature media from the spawning tank and adding some filter floss to it in a box or plant pot filter when you move the eggs or fry across.

If you have too large a bacterial colony to start with there won't be enough wastes to sustain the bacteria ast first. You need to let the batceria grow with the fish.

You only need a couple of litres of filter media per 100 litres of tank water in a sump for small fish.
krt
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.05.16(Sat)16:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree w/ d- besides the size ratio it is a nice design though. With a powerful enough powerhead (or 2) you could make a nice bio filter for a large tank.

KK
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY) All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: