Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
questions about my tank take a look!!!
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
naubound
New Members

PostPosted: 2009.04.26(Sun)3:43    Post subject: questions about my tank take a look!!! Reply with quote

I recently came across a 30 gallon hex that I got for free (I am aware of this being a not so good tank for salt water but thought it was worth the challenge)......I have a submersible Fluval 4 Plus in at the back of the tank and also am running a small hang on power filter with some bio balls in the reservoir. I don't know if this is going to be a very good way to do my biological or not? I also have a bubble wand to help with the oxygen levels. I don't have a protein skimmer. I'm not doing any live rock or anything (not worth the investment for this particular tank). I have been checking the water regularly and all the levels to seem to be where they should and water is clean and fish are active. I did a fish cycle with a couple of damsels and sand from a tank that has been running for a couple of years and has been healthy. I'm not actually having any problems with it so far but have had tanks crash on me quickly before and it would happen even quicker with this one I'm sure. please tell me what you think about my setup? I currently don't have any money for any serious investments ie. a protein skimmer or a different filter unless anyone knows of a cheap solution for me. I do plan on keeping it purely a swim tank only. If you can think of any changes or improvements I could make to my current system please let me know
nes999
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.04.26(Sun)11:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

how long did you "cycle" your tank for it sounds like your "crash" was your spike. also 30 gallon tank is a good sized tank you will need some live rock it will help a lot. and you should get a sump. sump's don't need to be huge, expensive, divources needed things, just get a ten gallon tank and go from there

this link will help you a lot

http://www.melevsreef.com/allmysumps.html
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2009.04.26(Sun)16:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum and best wishes for your success!
Please read my 2 articles here, they might cover some points that will help you:
http://www.aquahobby.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=17688
http://www.aquahobby.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=24970

This setup is not the best choice but it CAN work for a fish only system as long as you keep an eye on it and carefully observe the limitations of that type of filtration. Don't overcrowd and don't overfeed. Airstones and wands are excellent for gas exchange and burning off C02 in fish systems which helps with your pH. In my experience some of the external filters are highly susceptible to siphon breaks or other mechanical "issues," which can silently render them useless, and sometimes the hobbyist will not notice this for several days, which of course means your precious bio filter is stagnate and dead. Be very careful to keep an eye on this, especially if you have a power outage. This is one of the reasons I prefer an old school undergravel filter for low budget marine fish systems. All of these various filters have pros and cons, and most of them can be used with success if the basic rules are followed. I understand you are on a tight budget, I do have a few questions:

1. do you have a heater
2. how long has the tank been running
3. what is your substrate type and depth
4. what is your complete list of livestock
naubound
New Members

PostPosted: 2009.04.26(Sun)18:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. I don't need a heater I live in Arizona and I am very good at keeping my house between 76-80 so that is all it would ever fluctuate. It is 78 now.

2.I have had the tank running for about 8 weeks but I actually used sand and water from an already established tank so my cycle was much quicker. Nitrites and ammonia dropped to 0 and nitrates are minimal the pH is 8.2 the tanks temp is also 78.

3. My substrate is fine crushed coral mixed with a dozen or so empty hermit crab shells. I also have 2 pieces of dead bleached coral and empty barnacles from a pier pylon in San Diego. The sand is is probably about anywhere from 1/2-1" depending on the location in the tank so I would say a total level at about 1/2 to 3/4" if it were even. All of it is very clean.

4. As far as live stock I have 3" of total fish length a 3 stripe, blue, and a yellow tail damsel. Also I have 2 turbo snails and 2 blue legged hermit crabs that were recently added.
naubound
New Members

PostPosted: 2009.04.26(Sun)19:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

[/img]http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c3/Eric__Forsythe/SSPX0350.jpg[img][/img]
naubound
New Members

PostPosted: 2009.04.26(Sun)19:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c3/Eric__Forsythe/SSPX0350.jpg
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2009.04.26(Sun)20:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds pretty good to me, however I would get a heater on there when you get a chance. Arizona is kind of like Florida, it can get surprisingly cool in the winter months at night. If your small tank gets a shift of only a few degrees it can be stressful enough to trigger an outbreak of cryptocaryon irritans (marine ich) I have seen this happen many times in hobbyists tanks, even in established setups. Keep an eye on those damsels for bullying, and best wishes for your success.
naubound
New Members

PostPosted: 2009.04.26(Sun)21:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

My "Real" tank is a 135 gallgon and I was doing water changes every 6-8 weeks and I was running a much better filtration system than this one.....how often should I be doing it on this set up?
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2009.04.27(Mon)0:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most authors suggest changing 20-25 percent of the water monthly.
naubound
New Members

PostPosted: 2009.04.29(Wed)14:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I just did my first water change. I waited til morning and checked all my water levels and it seems as though my cycle has finished. I ran it for 3 weeks without fish and then the last week I added twom damsels. I wanted top get a clowfish for my daughter (3 years old and a huge nemo fan). There is no amonia or nitrates present pH is steady and salinity is sitting at 1.0215. What do you think?
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: