Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Growth on Cory
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Grunty.
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.04.13(Mon)14:24    Post subject: Growth on Cory Reply with quote

Hi All,

Wow, I haven't been on this forum for ages and I've come back with a problem Sad

I have a corydoras sterbai with several bizarre growths that have erroded its dorsal fin. There are also some smaller 'growths' along its flanks.

(Sorry for the fuzzy photos, I did them with my phone)
The 'growths' look like fluid filled bubbles and look like they might have a blood supply. It hasn't grown much in the last few months and is now 1/2" shorter than the other.

It's still really active and eats very well!

Tank Stats
Has been set up 2 years, Corydoras added last (x3) about a year ago. Nothing added since.

Juwel Rio 125 (125 litres) w/ Standard Juwel Filter (Filter Floss+Sponges)
NH3 - 0.0
NO2 - 0.0
NO3 - 10-15
pH - 6.5
Decor - Sand, 4x Large Smooth Pebbles, 3x Mopai Wood
Fauna - 2x Red Eye Tetras, 4x Black Neons, 2x Neons, 3 Pencilfish, 1x Hoplo Cat, 2x Corydoras Sterbai
Flora - Java Fern, Amazon Swordplants

25% water change a week

Feed - Aquariam Flake, Tetra Prima Granules, Frozan Blood Worm - 1x Daily

Hope all that makes sense! I just wondered whether anybody knew what it was and whether I can treat it in anyway?

Dan

PS. I don't have a hospital tank.
Tigerissey
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2009.04.13(Mon)16:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any chance at all you can try getting some clearer photos, really cannot see what it looks like from those.

Are any other fish showing any kind of symptoms.

Is there a red or white line around the growths

What does the surface look like is it cotton wooly or smooth and shiny.

You already said fluid but does the shape change as he swims or is it a solid shape with fluid inside.
Grunty.
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.04.14(Tue)0:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,

Thanks for the reply.

Quote:
Is there any chance at all you can try getting some clearer photos, really cannot see what it looks like from those.

I doubt I'll get anything better, that was the product of 2 days stakng out the tank at feeding time. I rarely see him out and about during the day. It looks kind of like a bunch of grapes where his dorsal fin was, all different sizes, fleshy coloured with a bit of a pink hue. It bobs around as he swims.

Quote:
Are any other fish showing any kind of symptoms.

None at all. All other fish are fit and well and he doesn't seem to acknowledge he has these growths on his back.

Quote:
Is there a red or white line around the growths

No. The bubbles just look attached to his body. The dorsal fin has erroded away so just the first spine remains. Doesn't look infected as such or inflammed.

Quote:
What does the surface look like is it cotton wooly or smooth and shiny.

They are smooth, fleshy coloured 'bubbles'.

Quote:
You already said fluid but does the shape change as he swims or is it a solid shape with fluid inside

I hadn't noticed it changing. It just flops around as he swims.

Hope that is a bit clearer.

Dan
Tigerissey
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2009.04.14(Tue)16:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to be sounding like a tumour. One disease known to produce tumours is Lymphocytosis which is a virus.

Do a search for it on google, you should find some photographs and information. If it is Lymphocytosis there is no cure and it can be infectious. If Lymphocytosis is confirmed it is common to euthanise the fish to prevent infection of other tank inhabitants.

You could keep him in isolation if this is the case, or Euthanise.

It may not be as I cannot see from the photographs. If it is not it may just be a growth.
Grunty.
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.04.15(Wed)4:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Tigerissy
Quote:
One disease known to produce tumours is Lymphocytosis which is a virus

I assume you mean lymphocystis? In which case I think I agree, but it's hard to find examples that are as advanced as in the case of my cory.

Looking at the differential diagnosis for this disease I can rule most of them out.

Unfortunality I don't have a hospital tank so separating him is out of the question.

I'm a little loath to euthanise it because he is so active and feeding so well.

He has had it aleast 2 months, and no other fish is affected, do you still think there is a risk of him infecting others?

Also, I plan to move some stock around and put more corydoras in his tank, I assume you think I should wait until he is dead before I do? In which case how long should I quarantine the tank before introducing more fish?

Thanks for the help

Dan
Tigerissey
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2009.04.15(Wed)5:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I use a rather old book, the name did change a long time ago, should have checked that.

It is difficult to say I think you should euthanise, people become very attched to fish as they should.

It appears that eventually these tumours may burst, this I wouldthink would be the time that the other fish were most at risk. Keep an eye out for seconday bacterial infections and if you could do it (really good practice anyway) get a small hospital tank to isolate him. It appears the virus can live dormant in the tank for many years, this would opportunistically infect any fish with an open wound (be careful netting fish) you would need to ensure water quality stays good and treat for any signs of bacterial infection immediately.

It is also difficult to say what I would do in the same circumstances although I do have a QT/Hospital tank.

I definately would not add anything else if the fish remains in the main tank. The fish would not die directly from Lymocystis it would be a secondary bacterial infection.
Grunty.
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.04.15(Wed)5:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tigerissy,

Thanks again for the reply. So if I remove the cory Crying or Very sad I can safey add some new ones say a week later? Assuming all is well with the others.

Dan
Tigerissey
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2009.04.15(Wed)6:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be inclined to leave it a little longer, 2 or 3 weeks, that way you should cover the virus incubation period.

Then it should not be a problem.

Small hospital tanks can be very cheap, it could be a plastic one, does not really matter if your fish are all small. A hospital / QT tank is not a life long home therefore it does not need to be any where near as big as our tanks. Look at something in the 25 litre size. May be an idea to get a broad spectrum bacterial med on hand. I would think if / when it does burst, he would be susceptible to infection at this point.

Most of all Good luck and don't forget to tell us how you get on.
Grunty.
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.04.15(Wed)6:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tigerissy,

Well all that was academic! I switched tha tank lights on and he was lying on his side, increased breathing, unable to maintain balance. I've fished him out and euthanised him Sad

I'll take some better pictures of him, now he has died for future reference. Google Images only had photos of mild cases.

Thanks a lot for the advice Tigerissy!

Dan

EDIT:

Sick Cory Postmortem
nes999
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.04.15(Wed)17:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know people that us 5 gallon buckets at qt tanks
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: