Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
sump vs. no sump
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Banker Boy
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.04.13(Mon)8:44    Post subject: sump vs. no sump Reply with quote

The only tank I've run for saltwater is my 29 with a hang on filter and hang on skimmer.

Thinking about doing a 55 gal. Can somebody explain the purpose of the sump with a wet/dry filter in a fowlr tank? Is it needed or just preferred?
Tigerissey
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2009.04.13(Mon)16:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are many advantages to a sump.

Increased water volume
Therefore increased stability
Somewhere for equipment (protein skimmer, heater, calcium reactor etc)
water changes can be performed via the sump
Most additives can be added via the sump.
space for refugium with DSB copepod production and incresed filtration.

http://www.melevsreef.com/

This site has some great details on sumps and DIY projects for the marine tank.

Hope that has helped
Osprey
Advisors

PostPosted: 2009.04.13(Mon)17:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sumps can be extremely useful... but I'd dump the wet-dry system. The rock is the only biological filtration you're going to need.
There are cons to a sump, too... it's a lot louder, and tends to burn a little more energy.
Banker Boy
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.04.14(Tue)7:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

The link was great.
Thank you both for your insight.
MarkLehr
Moderators

PostPosted: 2009.04.14(Tue)16:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

{Note to reader: BankerBoy is a personal friend of mine.}

In addition to the above points...

The sump is also very helpful to control evaporation without causing changes to the water volume in the display tank. It allows you to utilize a true surface skimmer (like the overflow on my bowfront) to remove surface organics and proteins. This increases light penetration and gas exchange. (You and I had a conversation when you saw my bowfront about the increased light penetration as a result of the overflow and sump system and how it could have contributed to the increased coral growth I am experiencing.)

Most importantly it gives you additional water volume outside the display. The options are endless. My bowfront has the skimmer, a UV, a carbon bag, 2 heaters, and a generic refugium area. Some people even grow out croppings in a separate sump area, with proper lighting. A good sump can even bat in the 5 spot for a weak Phillies lineup.

The overall stability is key. And remember, I have a sump that you can have if you want it. It is sitting in my living room and ready for you to take home Friday night. You can't beat that with a stick. Rolling Eyes
Banker Boy
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.04.15(Wed)10:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank for the reply Mr. Lehr. Great and thorough explaination. I may take you up on that sump offer after you buy that compact light fixture for my birthday Laughing . So for me to fully take advantage of a sump I would have to create an internal overflow box correct? Which would act as a true skimmer, have a pump that would send the water to the sump since my SW tank is too small to drill? I'm guessing the most difficult part of the process would be regulating the flow. That sounds like a great project for you and I to work on.

Buy the way, the sump MAY be able to hold a spot in the Phillies batting line up. But one thing is for sure, it would be able to take any of the Red Sox starting roles away from their pitchers.
MarkLehr
Moderators

PostPosted: 2009.04.15(Wed)20:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

For clarification, do not confuse a "surface skimmer" with a "protein skimmer". This can be especially confusing because the term protein skimmer was first used to describe the skimming of proteins from the surface of the water, which we now just describe as a surface skimmer or overflow box. What used to be called a foam fractionator is now called a protein skimmer or protein foam skimmer, which is what you know it to be. Rolling Eyes

{edit: yep, clear as mud}
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: