Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Siamese fighter
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters  Reply to topic   Post new topic
gazzelle
New Members

PostPosted: 2009.03.23(Mon)11:26    Post subject: Siamese fighter Reply with quote

Hi all.

I have had my tank up and running for about 2 weeks now. I have read all the books and tried to take in all advice given by various people.

But my main worry which I have had with my tank is my Siamese Fighter fish. To begin with I put the following in my 180 L tank

1 fighter
5 zebra danios
5 neons
5 female guppys
5 male guppys
2 bottlenose suckers

3 of my female Guppys died with a day of each other and now the other 2 a pregnant.

But the concern was that the fighter decided to attack and kill 4 of my zebras. And when I came home from work today my fighter has died itself, but 1 zebra remains.

I now feel very cautious about adding any other fish to my tank.

Can anyone offer any advise please?

Thanks!
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2009.03.23(Mon)11:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Can anyone offer any advise please?

Please read the articles on cycling and purchase a mini master test kit,

You tank is probably hitting the nitrite spike so be ready to do daily 25% water changes adding just dechlorinator to the water you add.

Please don't add anything else until your tank is stable.
gouramigirl
Members

PostPosted: 2009.03.23(Mon)13:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree to test the water levels, but it is very curious that he was capable of killing your danios. fighters are relatively slow moving, so I didn't think he would. I have danios in my 75g gourami tank. also, about your guppies, did you research them?? you need more females than males, and since you only have 2f left, I wouldn't be surprised if they die. the males will harass them for mating until they die of exhaustion, even though they are pregnant. once you get the water into good health, you need to buy some more danios, because they are schooling fish and may die of depression when alone. I actually have 6 rosy danios and 3 zebras that thrive living together, so if you can get rosy danios, I suggest it because they are cute and colourful. I also made the same mistake with fighters in a community tank 2 yrs ago. I moved him out because he killed some of my neons and guppies.
hope you can get your tank under control!!
best wishes
gazzelle
New Members

PostPosted: 2009.03.24(Tue)2:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the advice.

I have taken a sample of my water to my local pet shop and should find out later. I have done a pH test myself and also added various reccomended chemicals to ensure the waters safety.

The fish seem much happier now the fighter has gone which is strange!

Hopefully the water will be fine and I can add some extra female guppys to prevent the others from dying as I am looking forward to the prospect of raising fry plus more zebra is a definate option.

Fingers crossed!
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2009.03.24(Tue)2:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "recommended chemicals "don't work!

The water change will have helped by diluting the wastes as will the lower numbers of fish producing wastes.

Do get the actual numbers of the test results ratherthan just " a bit high" or OK and don't be conned into buying anything in a bottle as this will not help.

What have you added so far?

All you need is dechlorinator, water changes and time.

If you have a Juwel green sponge in the filter it will stop you seeing any nitrates and it can be hard to tell when the tank is actually cycled. These can also hinder plant growth.
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: