Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
algae problem
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
eagle1dw
New Members

PostPosted: 2009.03.22(Sun)11:51    Post subject: algae problem Reply with quote

I have a 55 gal tank for about 5 years. About six months ago I started getting a bad algae problem. I cleaned all the glass with a pad. I took all the gravel (about 75 lbs) out and bleached it and the lava rocks. I cleaned the filters (emporer 400 And whisper 30-60). I did not use bleach on them. I used different liquid algae destroyers. I left the lights off for five days, I have 64 watts of light. I have Live plants that I have to throw away because the algae ruins them. Right now I only have three pictus catfish, two black mollies and four gouramis. Fifty percent or less water change every Saturday. I test with a freshwater master test kit by Aquarium Pharmaceuticals and all tests are right on the money. Petcos, petland, petsmart are pretty much all that I can find around here and they are not much help. I feed light and after turning the filters back on after feeding I seem to get a brown discoloration on the glass. After all this the algae starts to return after two days. This is not much fun anymore. Please advise.
Darkblade48
Advisors

PostPosted: 2009.03.22(Sun)16:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

We need more information.

What are your test results (we need numbers)?
What kind of plants do you have?
What kind of algae do you have?
What kind of fertilization routine do you have, if any?
What are your CO2 levels, if you inject any?
nikolaou
New Members

PostPosted: 2009.05.30(Sat)9:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would reccommend posting in the right forum.

there you will likely get better answers.

it is pretty weird though that after 5 years all the sudden this happens.

is it near a window or anything and now you took the curtain off or cut down a tree that was giving the window shade?
Darkblade48
Advisors

PostPosted: 2009.05.30(Sat)21:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since the original user has not responded in over 2 months, I would assume that this problem was resolved.
ron2554
New Members

PostPosted: 2009.10.08(Thu)21:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for other users, who have similar problem, is there any solution to this problem.
nikelodeon79
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.10.08(Thu)22:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

The brown discoloration was likely diatom algae, which is common in new tanks. Because the original poster totally took down their tank and bleached everything (a HUGE no-no), they essentially started all over and the tank is essentially "new" and therefore the diatom algae arrived.

The original algae problem likely could've been solved by reducing the amount of light the tank got and/or breaking up the time the light was on, or perhaps the tank was deficient in some sort of nutrient the plants needed. If the OP hadn't scrubbed everything down, he/she could've likely solved the algae problem without re-starting the tank (and getting diatom algae).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
Sophia
Members

PostPosted: 2009.10.12(Mon)22:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

my tank gets brown diatom algae and after having 2 otocinclus catfish in there for a week, most of it was gone. They are the best little fish! Very Happy
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: