Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
HELP!! Are my Zebra danieos poorly or sleeping?
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters  Reply to topic   Post new topic
bigbum
New Members

PostPosted: 2009.03.13(Fri)11:13    Post subject: HELP!! Are my Zebra danieos poorly or sleeping? Reply with quote

I am new to keeping fish, I set my tank up and let it cycle for a week as advised then added a few neons then a couple of days later added some zebras and a cory. They seemed fine when I added them all swimming around and looked like nippy little things. A day after adding them though - today, 3 of them seem really quiet, they are just below the surface and not swimming much. When I go to put the net in they move away. If they are poorly can I help them or are they just having a kip? I want to do the best I can for them and have browsed the web but no results.
broadbean
Members

PostPosted: 2009.03.13(Fri)13:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think they're having a kip. A week is not enough to cycle a tank so you probably have an ammonia/nitrite spike after adding the fish. Have you done any tests? It's best to test for ammonia and nitrite, but in the meantime as first aid it will help to do a partial water change, every day until things improve.
bigbum
New Members

PostPosted: 2009.03.13(Fri)13:49    Post subject: HELP!! Are my Zebra danieos poorly or sleeping? Reply with quote

Have just done an ammonia test and was higher than it should be, I have been told that I should eventually have no reading for ammonia when the tank is sorted. Have also just done a partial water change, about 15 - 20% and will do this daily as suggested. Thanks for the reply.
Julia.
Jisty Morelove
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.03.14(Sat)8:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi BigBum..

http://www.aquahobby.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=36202
Heres a link about cycling your fish tank, and why .Hope it helps if you not seen it already.

It will normally take about 8weeks to get a tank ready before adding fish, but your LFS(local fish shop) will often not tell you this,shop profits of course. Your fish will not be happy while the tank cycles, but the article explains more. I'm new to the hobby myself and I'm shocked at how often this happens to innocent people, were the LFS will sell you fish after only 1week, not your fault BigBum, but theres .

Me personally, I'd take the fish back to the LFS, your tanks not ready, the fish will get sick and ill because of the water quality at the moment. Read up on fishless cycling and go teach the fish shop a few things Wink .

GL BigBum and sorry to hear of the losses

Jisty Morelove
Editted: OH, and buy a liquid master test kit first thing, a little costly I know, but worth every single penny for what you can learn from them.
bigbum
New Members

PostPosted: 2009.03.14(Sat)11:10    Post subject: HELP!! Are my Zebra danieos poorly or sleeping? Reply with quote

Hi Jisty,
I have found someone who can take the zebras, my fella has a friend at work who has put them in his quarentine tank for me. Was very thankful that the poor things were all still alive this morn, would have felt pretty poo if I had come down to see them all dead. Have now emptyed the tank and am starting from scratch again.
The link you gave me was really helpfull thanks, I already have the liquid ammonia test kit what is the master one?
Hopefully after leaving the tank to cycle for a longer period will give me the result I want and the conditions the fish deserve.
Thanks once again, julia.
stefanita123
Members

PostPosted: 2009.03.14(Sat)12:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a side note, Corys like to be kept in groups, so if you're planning on having them again when you cycle the tank, get at least 3, 5 if you have room for them Smile
Jisty Morelove
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.03.14(Sat)20:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi BigBum..

Thats great news, very happy to hear the fish are OK. And thats so nice of that guy to look after the fish for you Wink .

Quote:
I already have the liquid ammonia test kit what is the master one?

Basically the full liquid kit, most/every LFS will have them for sale, it will test for :
Ammonium
Nitrite
Nitrate
High pH
Low pH

Just about everything you will want to know about your tank at the moment Wink . Most people will say test maybe every 3 days, it will help you to cycle your tank and know when its fully cycled. Myself I tested every day, so to learn more about what my waters doing, now its cycled I only test once a week.
The information is in my opinion invaliable to the understanding of basic water chemistry which is the base to good fish keeping .

From what I've read and understood, if I may suggest, the frozen prawn method might be the way to try cycling your tank, lots of posts on this site about mainy methods, so I won't go into anything here now.
Also, that lovely guy thats looking after your fish, if he has a mature tank, maybe you could ask for some of his filter media to help start your bacteria,this will help the cycling process.

GL with it all, hope it works out in the end.
Jisty Morelove
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: