Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
the little league moving to the major league
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
nes999
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.03.11(Wed)19:27    Post subject: the little league moving to the major league Reply with quote

soon I want to set up my 20L tank for fish it will probably be after or soon to when I go to florida 20 days

The fish moving into the tank are:

2 peppered cories cutest things I've ever seen
1 upside down catfish (he acts like a fat man on thanks giving and hes also like a 50metre dasher
1 ryukan

in my new tank id like to have a sand substrate is their a under gravel filter that works with sand

Also I would like it to be well planted
I'm up for high matenice I'm down with low though my fishies seem to be nocturnal so highlight during day might not be a good thing

any suggestions?

right now I have a unknown plant I got it yesterday it is turning yellow so if you could help id aprreachiatre it

and one last thing as my catfish grow bigger will they mess with my ryukan my ryucan right now is 6-8 times larger so I wouldnt think so

I'm going to have some terricataa pots what is a paint that will work thats safe

thanks

Last edited by nes999 on 2009.03.12(Thu)23:18; edited 1 time in total
keeno
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.03.11(Wed)19:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ryukin will need a separate tank as goldfish are coldwater fish and your other fish are tropical fish.

One goldfish needs at least a 30 gallon IMO.

You will need to get more cories (at least 4 more) because cories are schooling fish and like to be in groups. They and the UD catfish will need a tank FAR larger than a 20L.

UGF's don't work well with sand; they were really meant for large pea gravel.
nes999
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.03.11(Wed)19:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

really I thought a 20 gallon long would be enough but I guess I'm wrong
Darkblade48
Advisors

PostPosted: 2009.03.12(Thu)0:02    Post subject: Re: the little league moving to the major league Reply with quote

nes999 wrote:
2 peppered cories cutest things I've ever seen
1 upside down catfish (he acts like a fat man on thanks giving and hes also like a 50metre dasher
1 ryukan

As keeno mentioned, a 20g long is not large enough for a goldfish, as they produce a lot of waste. In addition, a goldfish should not be kept with tropical fish as they have different temperature requirements.

In addition, also as keeno mentioned, you will need to increase the number of Cories you have, as they are schooling species.

nes999 wrote:
in my new tank id like to have a sand substrate is their a under gravel filter that works with sand

As mentioned in the many other threads that you have posted, an undergravel filter will not work with sand, as the sand will compact and render the UGF useless. If you are set on Cories, which will require a sand substrate, you will have to give up on using a UGF. Besides, they are a rather outdated method of filtration, and a canister filter or even a HOB filter would be much more suitable.

nes999 wrote:
Also I would like it to be well planted

any suggestions?

What kind of tank do you want? A high light, high maintenance tank, or a low light, low maintenance tank? The kind of plants you want to grow will determine the amount of light that will be required (and consequently, the amount of maintenance that will be required).

nes999 wrote:
right now I have a unknown plant I got it yesterday it is turning yellow so if you could help id aprreachiatre it

Please browse through the Garden section of this site to see if you can identify the plant. Otherwise, you could take a picture and upload it so that other members can try to identify it for you. What are your current water parameters? Amount of lighting? Type of lighting? Duration of lighting? Without these pieces of information, it is difficult to assist you in any way.
Tigerissey
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2009.03.12(Thu)0:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have moved this topic as it bears no resemblance to DIY.
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: