Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Going from fresh to saltwater.
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Justin1989
New Members

PostPosted: 2009.03.07(Sat)22:33    Post subject: Going from fresh to saltwater. Reply with quote

I started a 15 gallon freshwater tank almost a month ago. Little did I know, there was so much more to know when setting up these tanks. So my first mistake, bought fish before I knew about the cycling. I have a submersible heater, set for 79 degrees, a penguin 100 filter, and also a duetto 50 I believe. So I continued doing a fish-in cycle. Had a bristle nose pleco, and 2 cichlids. One cichlid jumped out due to me not having a lid, didn't think it was possible to have a lid/hood with the penguin filter I had hanging out the side. After 4-5 weeks, I come home from work to find my pleco dead. I was doing water changed, along with using ammo-lock to sustain the ammonia. Nitrite finally started to form, still doing water changed. Tested water today after I found my plec dead, ammonia was terrible due to the plec, and nitrite was getting pretty high also so I figured it was best to do a water change, vacuumed gravel and so forth. Once my cycling is complete, I thought about changing over to saltwater tank. Granted I have read it will be a little more time consuming. I have also read the cycling process a freshwater tank goes through isn't the same as a salt water tank, so my question is what is different? I don't plan on having live coral in this tank, just for the moment sand and fish. Do I need to change my filters, or what exactly will I need? I know I need a hydrometer, but other then that I'm not to sure of what else I need.

The reason for the change is the fish I planned to originally get (clownfish) were saltwater and I did not know this at the time. I would like to have clownfish, and also I seen a chocolate chip starfish at the local pet shop, which I was quite interested in. The lionfish I want will have to wait for my bigger tank; Looking at around a 90 gallon Tank. Honestly the tank isn't the issue, its the stand.
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2009.03.07(Sat)23:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

A basic marine fish setup is not too difficult providing you double that size and do your research in advance. For example, research will reveal that most types of starfish are a very poor choice for most aquariums since they usually cannot survive on prepared foods and they will slowly starve in captivity.

That 15 gallon is a little too small for a proper marine system but it will make a fine quarantine tank. Here's a link for you... if you are serious about a marine tank, make this book your first purchase. After you read it come back with some specific questions and someone will help you.
http://www.amazon.com/Conscientious-Marine-Aquarist-Commonsense-Successful/dp/1890087025

Here are a couple of articles that may help you also, and best wishes for your success:
http://www.aquahobby.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=24970&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
http://www.aquahobby.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=17688
Justin1989
New Members

PostPosted: 2009.03.09(Mon)21:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

So with your advice, I decided to buy a bigger tank. I am looking to go for around a 55 gallon tank, which will set on my desk. I will find somewhere else for my tv lol. I am looking for a kit, which I have found on forums people saying they bought a 55gal kit for around $150. In the local pet shop I found one for $200. Honestly, I know its going to end up costing me more; due to kits only including a filter, submersible heater, lighting fixture which is simply the basic. However I will improve that after I have it setup and going through the cycle. I don't plan on having any coral, and also I plan on using sand. Sand to me looks more well; appealing. My 15 gal will be turned into a quarantine tank; its cycle is hopefully nearing its end.
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2009.03.09(Mon)22:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's good news about the bigger tank and don't forget the book I suggested by Fenner. Honestly, I would highly suggest the book before buying any more equipment.
Your research will lead to success...
Justin1989
New Members

PostPosted: 2009.03.19(Thu)11:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well its been a while since I have posted; so heres some updates Smile

I bought a Oak cabinet stand; with the intentions of buying a 55 gallon tank. I have decided against the 55 gallon tank, and went with a 90 gallon tank. I have not picked up the tank; however will be here soon. The 90 gallon's at a LFS are $150. The fish will be based around a Picasso Trigger; also will be building a sump. Hide all the ugly stuff, and possibly a small refuge. I will do some more research on the piping; don't want a nasty mess all over my floor.
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: