Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Branching star polyp question
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals  Reply to topic   Post new topic
tripwater
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.03.02(Mon)13:45    Post subject: Branching star polyp question Reply with quote

I have had this piece for about 6+months. It is a bit larger in diameter than a grapefruit. It was an off white encrusted thing that never really spread. but the star polyps were awesome.

I changed out my light bulbs in my fixture and also finally got a skimmer. Since this, I have noticed only a fraction of the polyps come out now and it has been this way for well over a month now. My params seem great. All other coral are growing and some are spreading. One thing I read about in the beginning is that these tend to have a purple crust that the polyps extend from. This was never the case with mine but now almost a 1/3 of the encrusting material has turned purple. In your opinions is this a sign that mine is dying or about to grow more or spread? It used to look like a mound of grass now it just has misc pieces coming out.
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2009.03.02(Mon)19:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure, can you post a photo...
tripwater
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.03.02(Mon)19:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I will post a photo tomorrow when my lights are back on and the polys are out. I used a baster to clean off the detritus and noticed the off white encrusting stuff where many of the polyps used to be is flaking off and this is where the purple is. SO it looks as if the areas have died off and the purple areas are what is underneath.

I Will try to get a picture tomorrow.

Thanks.
tripwater
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.03.03(Tue)10:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK here are pics. Like I said, this thing used to look like a ball of grass Crying or Very sad

FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2009.03.03(Tue)10:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with your second comment, it appears to be dying and exposing the corallines underneath.
tripwater
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.03.03(Tue)10:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it odd that this all happens within a couple of weeks of me adding a skimmer and better bulbs...you would think if anything it would be healthier. My water params are better than they have ever been. I had another post a few weeks back about issues I was having and it was suggested I remove a good bit of my substrate to aid in the nitrate reduction and I have since took my substrate down and nitrates are lower.

I am not sure what to do to turn this around. Other coral in my tank seem to be spreading and growing so any advice or ideas are welcome Smile
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2009.03.03(Tue)15:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I see a tank where most corals are doing well, but a few are not, my first thought is possible stinging/aggression issues or chemical wars.
Could also be stress from other various factors:

Phosphates
Nitrates
Sudden change in lighting, who knows...

One thing's for sure, it's not happy there.
Try moving it (out), see what happens in another system.
See below from Fenner:

"Green Star Polyps New, not improved!"
I recently
<How recently?>
purchased some green star polyps as well as some large button polyps from my LFS. I have other corals in my system such as a large colt coral, assorted mushrooms, pulsating xenia, several anemones, a gorgonian, and other small button polyps. All other corals are doing good with the exception of the green star polyps. After purchasing both the star polyps and the button polyps I had them placed near the top of the tank. The button polyps began to open but seemed to be squinting so I moved them further down towards the bottom where they fully opened and look great.
<Good idea to start most all "light sensitive" organisms near the bottom>
I have tried moving the star polyps from higher to lower and back again. I have taken them out of the current flow and put them back in. Presently they are at the top of the tank in a strong current flow but still do not seem to be opening. It has been about 4 days since I have seem them open. I am running under normal fluorescents (160 watts total - 55 gallon tank - 50/50 and daylight bulbs). All other corals are doing well as is everything else. My anemones are actually reproducing all over the tank. Is this coral dead and if so when will I know to remove it from the tank. The polyps are still bright purple and are sticking up about a half inch from the rock that they are attached to but no polyps is protruding from the top. All water parameters are acceptable and I dose with iodine about once a week. The star polyps are isolated from everything else and since I observe the tank more than the TV I haven't seen anything bothering them. Any clue what may be wrong with them.
Thanks
T.J. Sylvester
<Good descriptions here... Likely what you and your green star polyps are experiencing is a negative chemical interaction... Much like having a Eucalyptus tree overhead with leaves, chemicals influencing the non-germinating plants below... your Polyps are losing out to some other stinging-celled life in your system... If possible I would move this colony to a different system... If not, trade them back in at the LFS... or wait it out and see if they can gain chemical ground. Adding a sump, volume of water, placing activated carbon in your filter flow path, more live rock, macro-algae all might help if they are to stay or not. Bob Fenner>
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/polypsysfaqs.htm
tripwater
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.03.07(Sat)8:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the post. I did not know you had replied because the forum did not send me a notification email this time.

I keep the star polyps on the far right side of the tank. The only other thing over there is a rock with mushrooms on it and it is well below it. I have been strict on water changes and removing substrate over the past month because in a previous post it was recommended I do so ( I had 4-6 inch deep sand bed in spots ). I had some burrowing gobies that loved the sand but I removed 75% of the sand over the course of a few weeks.

I was dealing with a cyano outbreak at the time. I still have the red slime showing up in places but I have done all I know to do. I reduced my light hours down to 8 hours, less feeding, and water change every week. My nitrates seemed to drop and my phosphates seemed to as well. But obviously something is wrong. My galaxia on the other side of the tank is growing and spreading and I read that those are hard to keep, my button polyps are open, large and spreading, my hammer coral is sprouting new limbs...

I will keep at it. One thing I have not tried that this article mentioned is activated carbon in my filter. I will give that a shot.

thank you again for your time.
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: