Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Building a Stand
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY)  Reply to topic   Post new topic
CSnyder00
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.02.17(Tue)2:21    Post subject: Building a Stand Reply with quote

Everyone seems to be building tanks or filters or something related to water. I want to build my own stand. Has anyone ever done this before? I want to build one for my soon to be 55 gallon tank and I was wondering whether I should go with a certain type of wood, how high to build it, things like that, and I was browsing and found this topic, so shoot me some ideas. I think I want to build it out of red oak or cherry (even though cherry is expensive!) and do a square top with a lip around it just big enough to fit my tank inside the lip so there is no slipping around and then felt where the tank will set. then just build a simple shelf underneath. 4 legs with supports, and height adjustable foot pegs (screw them up or down for more or less height so that you can level the tank). Let me know what your thoughts are. Not sure whether I want to do this, but thinking about it seriously.
Jisty Morelove
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.02.17(Tue)7:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi..

I'm gonna be doing the same thing myself and building a stand. I got no worrys about using wood, I've used it a lot before. But to save me typing how its done, heres a handy link.

http://www.arbreptiles.com/cages/75g_stand/index.shtml

Try searching this forums for more info, this took 5mins to find Wink .

I would also personally fix some cross section pieces to hold the center of the tank floor better.Bar that a very good guide.

Jisty Morelove
Fla_Larry
Members

PostPosted: 2009.02.17(Tue)9:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

standard #2 white pine will work fine. height, set the top of the stand
to be 29 - 30" above floor level, this will put your viewing level at the center of the tank when sitting.
CSnyder00
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.02.17(Tue)14:53    Post subject: Sorry Reply with quote

I have seen stands at 30" and they are nice, but I was thinking a few more inches would be nice, maybe 33"-36" That extra 3 inches is all the difference, especially with a higher couch and for those walking into the room. Its not hidden, but still nice to look at sitting.
Cliff Mayes
Advisors

PostPosted: 2009.02.17(Tue)22:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

The height can be anything (within reason) you wish. Tall or short until it gets so high it becomes unstable or short to the point of being silly.

Lumber is cheap and easy but even though you may end up using 2 X 4s because of cost it is not required to hold the weight. Legs are OK but somtimes it is less expensive to just use boards or sheets of plywood (hardwood or plain stuff) all the way to the floor.

A little planning on paper plus having the sizes handy goes a long way towards coming up with a nice stand. I have made stands with lips and without. Lips do not matter although they are nice to rest stuff on. When the tank is full it ain't goin nowhere unless someone bangs into it.

Stands are easy. Good luck!
CSnyder00
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.02.18(Wed)0:10    Post subject: Cool. Reply with quote

Thanks guys and gals. I think I'm going to do this. I may not go with doors though. I might just go open bottom with a shelf. Do you think 4 legs with 4" X 4" boards will hold the weight?
Cliff Mayes
Advisors

PostPosted: 2009.02.18(Wed)0:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doors are nice and are easy but are a pain.

One 4 X 4 would probably hold your tank which should be less than 300 pounds. Maybe a wrought iron stand could be a better choice as it relates to cost. Look around; check Craigs list and be patient.

If the legs can handle the weight no problem except that the tank needs to be supported all the way around not just the corners. A frame for the tank to rest on should be OK but legs are costly so maybe you can do without them.

By the way unless you already have the 55 take a look at a 75. Not much of a difference between the footprint of a 55 and 75 but a lot more water and a lot more room to play with. Someone tried to sell a 55 with lights and gravel and had a hard time getting $40 for it this weekend so walk slowly and carefully.
weircm81
New Members

PostPosted: 2009.06.06(Sat)19:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cliff Mayes wrote:
One 4 X 4 would probably hold your tank which should be less than 300 pounds.

I could be WAY off but I think a 55 would be closer to 475lbs in water alone than 300. Add in substrate, decorations and equipment and I would aim closer to 550. In either case I've had a look at some of the store bought stands made of particle board for lack of the proper term and Id guess that a 2x4 would be more than adequate. Keep in mind I know NOTHING about woodwork. I've decided that I want to do a stand of my own as well and after searching I came across this Link and as its color coded I think even I can follow it.

If you decide to go for it be sure to keep us informed. Id love to see your build process.
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY) All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: