Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Set up for a 3 gal tank
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
AverageJoe
New Members

PostPosted: 2008.09.16(Tue)20:31    Post subject: Set up for a 3 gal tank Reply with quote

Well I am new at salt water and I wanted to go small so I don't spend a lot of money and just blow it all... but I have a 3 gal tank and I wanted to get 2 clown fish and a sea anemone would that be to much or something that I don't no about yet

thanks
truestar
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.09.16(Tue)21:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 gallons is really too small for any fish because there's not much room and water conditions can change rapidly. Anemones are hard to keep alive and require very strong lighting and I know at least most would grow too big for a 3 gallon. Your only option really would be to keep a few inverts if anything, but I'd definitely suggest going with a bigger tank if this is your first time doing a saltwater setup. Tanks that small are extremely hard to take care of even for the most experienced marine keepers. It wouldn't cost too much more to go with even a 10-20 gallon instead and your chance of being successful would be way better than if you went with a 3 gallon.
Miss Priss
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.09.16(Tue)22:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that is too small. I did a 5 gallon once and it was such a pain in the neck for one tiny tank that is was DEFINITELY not worth the effort! It was super-hard to get my hands in there and clean and move stuff around. It developed some reddish algae pretty quickly that spoiled the look and I couldn't really do much about it with so little room to work in there.
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2008.09.17(Wed)12:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Average Joe,
please see Myth no. 10 here:
http://www.aquahobby.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=24970
AverageJoe
New Members

PostPosted: 2008.09.21(Sun)14:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK thanks a lot for all of your help and I'm prolly ganna get a 30 gal tank
once again thanks
LadyBug
New Members

PostPosted: 2009.01.27(Tue)14:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

clowns in a 3 gallon are probably not going to work but there's lots of fish that would. check out and http://www.nano-reef.com/ and this size guide on the forum on that website that tells you what you can put in what tank( http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=74703). I'm thinking about starting a 2.5 gallon pico myself Very Happy
good luck!
Anna
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2009.01.27(Tue)23:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yikes, it appears to me that author is suggesting it is appropriate to maintain marine fish in half gallon containers... Mad
Jisty Morelove
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.01.28(Wed)6:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all..

Go for shrimps in your 3 gallon averagejoe, or snails..

Please what ever u do, don't try anything on that link from ladybug,sorry ladybug. I'm a novice, but even in my research, what that guy suggests is not right, he even states himself after in () that the fish will be to big for a 5 gallon tank. Bad advice in my opinion. Just stick to the advice u find here. Theres a world of good advice here and if not plenty of experianced people to help.

The 30 gallon suggestion sounds a sensible plan, and it might just calm down Floridaboy after reading that article Very Happy

Jisty Morelove
Osprey
Advisors

PostPosted: 2009.01.28(Wed)13:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

That article is appalling.
Listing what you might be able to get away with is so irresponsible. There's a far cry between what might work and what will reliably work.
And Ladybug.... if you haven't been maintaining itty bitty tanks like that yourself for an extended length of time, please don't recommend them as if you're knowledgeable yourself. I'd never tell someone that their first tank should be so small they'd have to top up the water twice daily to maintain a consistent salinity... nanos are a lot of work. Picos are worse. And one day of inattention can result in a tank crash when the tank is that small. Water parameters in little tanks are not stable. That's why a big tank is a better idea. The equipment costs the same! So why put yourself through all the extra work?
LadyBug
New Members

PostPosted: 2009.01.29(Thu)15:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

FloridaBoy wrote:
Yikes, it appears to me that author is suggesting it is appropriate to maintain marine fish in half gallon containers... Mad

I found the idea of fish in a 1/2 gallon tank a bit unbelievable myself but I think with a bit of common sense that some of the information from the piece is salvageable.

Osprey wrote:
That article is appalling.
Listing what you might be able to get away with is so irresponsible. There's a far cry between what might work and what will reliably work.
And Ladybug.... if you haven't been maintaining itty bitty tanks like that yourself for an extended length of time, please don't recommend them as if you're knowledgeable yourself. I'd never tell someone that their first tank should be so small they'd have to top up the water twice daily to maintain a consistent salinity... nanos are a lot of work. Picos are worse. And one day of inattention can result in a tank crash when the tank is that small. Water parameters in little tanks are not stable. That's why a big tank is a better idea. The equipment costs the same! So why put yourself through all the extra work?

no, I haven't had a pico, nano or saltwater tank at all but I have researched them extensively. I'm not saying a fish in a 1/2 gallon tank is acceptable, but some of the information on the site is good. there are plenty of reasons to go small nano/pico. limited space, for example. so maybe it's not the best tank to start with. but if a person wants it bad enough they'll(hopefully) do the research and know what they're walking into and be willing to do what it takes to keep it up and running.
and guys, let's get real here-this is a great forum, but for a SW newbie to use this as their only resource? no offence, but that's a bit dumb. this is the internet and just like part of the article I linked to was off, some of the stuff on here might be off. this isn't a specialized SW forum like www.reefcentral.com or even www.nano-reef.com. you some of you guys know a lot, I'm assuming, but there are others who don't(and I'm willing to admit that I might be one of them.) and a large reef specific forum is more likely to have more people who know more than us newbies and they also have more specific sub-forums. just check them out and you'll see what I mean.
so I guess what I'm trying to say is-
~yeah, some of the info was off and I'm sorry
~use common sense people!
~there IS a place for picos and nanos and a dedicated beginner CAN do it
~this is the world wide web and anyone can come on and say whatever they want. cross check your facts!

again, sorry for the messed up info Wink
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: