Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
I have a dumb idea (plant+marine+mullet)
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
seds
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.01.30(Fri)23:30    Post subject: I have a dumb idea (plant+marine+mullet) Reply with quote

Is there anyone who has a marine tank that isn't a reef tank, but instead focuses on marine algae and seagrasses? It could be based on sandy shores and tidal pools. I went to mexico a while back and I loved the marine plants I saw. I also saw some really neato fish that no one knew what they were called and marine fish charts for the area didn't list them. They were silver torpedo shaped fishes with tube like mouths, black edged tail and pectoral fins held out like wings.

Turns out the neato fish I watched in fast moving shoals by the shore was Mugil cephalus, the striped mullet.

Rolling Eyes
"Mullet, unlike the rest, are just and mild,
No fish they harm, by them no seas are spoil'd;
Not on their own nor different kinds they prey,
But equal laws of common right obey.
Undreaded they with guiltless pleasure feed,
On fattening slime, or bite sea-grown weed."

http://www.aquarticles.com/articles/saltwater/clark_grey%20mullet.html
Here is a neato article on mullet in the marine aquarium.(it's where I found the poem) Turns out they are very hardy, live life in brackish or marine conditions and even head into freshwater from time to time. They often get trapped in tidal pools when feeding once low tide comes, so that would make them extraordinarily hardy for marine fish. Tidal pools get really warm during the day and very cool at night. The only thing I found about anywhere else is using them as baitfish or something.

ANYWAY here was my plan.

Marine tank, 220 gallons or larger. Big jagged rocks in the corners to hide filter output. Sand covering the rest, with random leafy algae covering the rocks in the corner. These fish feed by sifting sand or gulping water, filtering with their gill rakers to get organic matter. THEN add the mullet, 5 or 6 of them! I'll edit in a drawing of my idea. This would be so close to their natural habitat, I wouldn't be too surprised if I could get the suckers to breed. If that happened I could start the mullet trade in marine or brackish aquariums. I am aware that grey mullet are not the same species but almost all mullet have very similar characteristics... Mullet are in the genus Mugil and they are very similar.

Also these things are 100% peaceful filter feeders. Apparently it is really easy to get them onto dry or even flake food! Are they the magical just add water marine fish? Who knows. I guess since I live 1000 miles from the nearest ocean I will never get them... until I move to a temperate coastal town. They aren't in LFS for a good reason...The only thing keeping these cute fishes from being suitable for the average aquarist is their size... most get 12-20 inches in length... Hence the large size of the aquarium! Ironically there is groupers at most any marine store that get bigger than that. I suppose the mullet's silvery color is another factor. Tankmates include anything other than marlin, barracuda, tuna and sharks. I could easily set up a false marine tank with the similar looking bala shark... using the exact same setup ideas. (only freshwater of course)

Thoughts? Am I stupid? Am I crazy? I am thinking maybe 220 gallons (72'' long) might even be a bit small for these active fish. I saw them in the wild and they do swim restlessly and hastily wherever they are going. Perhaps this fish is to remain a symbol of the wild, just as the mullet hairstyle is a symbol of the past... Another problem is they may uproot the plants. That is why I would focus on planting the rocks in the rear and corners of the tank.
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2009.01.30(Fri)23:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

A marine tank for mullet.
After nearly 40 years of netting these things by the dozen, chopping them up for bait and/or eating them smoked, fried or broiled...
I don't know what to say. Laughing
seds
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.01.31(Sat)0:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would ask you to send me a few if it was legal and if I had the tank for them. The ones you get are juveniles, yes?

Sad

Gotta go for now.

Oh yeah, PS, Anyone grow plants in marine? Is it the same as fresh? I guess you would need high lighting and CO2, and some fertilizer... I'll bet you need different fertilizers in marine though.
Osprey
Advisors

PostPosted: 2009.01.31(Sat)13:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Barr has done it:
http://www.aquahobby.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=45214&highlight=vascular+marine+plants
There's also some nice info in one of the subforums on Reefcentral, where many focus on 'lagoon' type marine aquaria:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=176
The mullet, I can't comment on.

I wanted soooo badly to insert a pic of an entirely different sort of mullet here...
Laughing
seds
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.01.31(Sat)14:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you osprey, I found the links fairly helpful.

I wish Tom Barr would comment or suply info on his setup.
Osprey
Advisors

PostPosted: 2009.01.31(Sat)14:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

He actually runs a separate site (link is in his siggie). Pretty sure you could message him at the forum there. He hasn't logged in here for months, not sure why. He used to be here in the planted section all the time.
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: