Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
New Kole Tang
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals  Reply to topic   Post new topic
brannan
New Members

PostPosted: 2009.01.28(Wed)19:31    Post subject: New Kole Tang Reply with quote

I got a new Kole tang and I have a few questions, hoping someone could help me out. When we got her, she seemed to be doing great, but I noticed a lighter spot on the top of her head. After watching it for a while, it seemed change positions and move closer to her eye. I though of it as a blemish, like when you get nervious your face gets red, but it hasn't gone away and I think it has spred. What could this be and how can I fix it?

She also seems to eat a lot of algae off the rocks, but doesn't eat any flake (prime reef flake and super veggie flake) or frozen krill we feed them. Should we try something else?

Thanks in advance for helping a concerned fish owner.
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2009.01.28(Wed)22:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's difficult to say from here, but I can tell you that many "mystery diseases," such as lesions, sores, red patches, etc. are actually stress reactions to environmental issues, like poor water quality for example. What are your water parameters, nitrates, etc? Of course, there is a possibility that a pathogen is involved, so to be safe, I would consider moving it to a quarantine tank for a month or so for observation.
brannan
New Members

PostPosted: 2009.01.28(Wed)22:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

The water is reading:
nitrates:0, ammonia:0, salinity: 1.021, pH:8.3

In the tank we also have 1 yellow tang, 1 chocolate chip starfish, 1 damsel and lots of crabs.

We got 2 clowns from the pet store a few weeks ago that had ick, so they have been in a 10 gallon quarantine tank and haven't been introduced to the main tank yet. If we moved the kole tang to the quarantine tank, would it be alright with the clowns and what would we treat her for? And will this be more stressful for her?

Or if it is a stress reaction to environmental issues, does she just need time to get use the environment and she will get better on her own?

Thank you for your help Smile
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2009.01.29(Thu)17:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Water sounds okay, not sure what you are seeing but I guess if your QT is already full you will need to leave it there and just keep an eye on it. Did you ever have ich in the main tank, were those clowns in there?
Mike612
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2009.01.29(Thu)23:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember that it took a few days before I could get my Kole Tang to eat when I first got it. I wouldn't worry yet about that, especially if it's picking at the rocks.

In terms of the spot you see, I remember that mine used to get rather large beige spots at times. Some times it was around its forehead, some times around the eye, and some times it would appear anywhere else on the body. Usually my tang got these marks when it was stressed, whether it was just from the light turning on and my tang being a late riser or because someone was picking on it, but it never looked like a disease. It usually took a day or two before they cleared up but it always did.

Post some pics of your tang so that we can identify what kind of spots your tang has.
brannan
New Members

PostPosted: 2009.01.31(Sat)21:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will try the best I can to get some pictures for you; she is very fast and still a little skittish. I hope she is experiencing what your fish did and will get better. It has been about a week here, in her new home, and the spots haven't gone away yet. I will keep my fingers crossed.

Thank you for you help Smile
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2009.02.01(Sun)1:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

You never answered my question...
Did you ever have ich in the main tank, were those clownfish in there?
brannan
New Members

PostPosted: 2009.02.01(Sun)13:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

We did have ich in the main tank and it killed all of our fish except the damsel. We then lowered the salinity and raised the temp. for a month. We then got the clowns, but they never went into the main tank. They started off in the quarantine tank. We got the kole and the yellow tang from a good fish store and they looked great, so we thought they could go in the main tank.

I also got a few pictures that I hope will be helpful.
[img]http://www.flickr.com/photos/24687265@N02/3244188337/[/img] (alt+p)

[img]http://www.flickr.com/photos/24687265@N02/3244186699/[/img] (alt+p)
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2009.02.01(Sun)16:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brannan,

Thanks for posting those photos.
Tangs are one of the most sensitive species with regard to skin lesions and parasitic problems.

In the best case scenario,
you are looking at some stress related symptoms or minor injuries, possibly caused by the Yellow Tang or bumping into the rock work. If this is the case, you should observe carefully for any worsening or secondary infections. You might try adding some vitamins to the food to help boost resistance. Kole Tangs are known to sometimes get non-pathogen related stress "blotches" which go away in time. Ideally, this will start to go away on its own, and not get worse. I hope this is the case, but judging from the photos I suspect a possibility there is something else going on.

Worst case scenario,
you are looking at the early stages of a bacterial or parasitic infection. Although we often think of classic cryptocaryon as white spots, I have seen ich appear like this (white or red patches) at early stages of infection.

In my experience, salinity and temperature changes will NOT eradicate marine ich (cryptocaryon) from your aquarium. Often it will drop back for a while, only to return with a vengeance. You could be seeing the "next wave" of the original crypto infestation you had before. If you start seeing other fish with problems let me know, I have detailed files on dealing with cryptocaryon in your display.

You could also be seeing an onslaught of Brooklynellosis, which is often associated with clownfish, but can also infect tangs and other species. I think this is unlikely, because fish hit with this usually succumb within a short time. Your careful observation will tell you whether this fish is getting better (adapting) or suffering. Keep an eye on overall behavior, fighting, excessive scratching, clamped fins, appetite, etc.

Be advised, some retailers have had problems with Kole Tangs getting what seems to be a host-specific infection, which doesn't seem to infect other fish. As I stated earlier, Tangs are highly susceptible to dermal infections and related problems.

Take a look at the articles I have linked below, scroll down and you will see some similar photos to what you have. Unfortunately, there is a possibility that a pathogen is involved, so to be safe, I would consider moving it to a quarantine tank or your dealer's hospital tank for a month or so to avoid losing your other fish. You should be aware, it may already be too late to prevent infection of your other livestock, which is why proper QT protocol is so important, no matter how healthy they seem in the beginning. Keep an eye on your other fish. Here are those links:

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/koledis.htm
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/brooklynellosisart.htm
brannan
New Members

PostPosted: 2009.02.13(Fri)19:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for all your help! The kole tang looks much better, but I think she might be getting a secondary infection. She now has some white stuff on her tail and left fin. It looks more like lint than bumps. All the other fish look beautiful and don't seem to be affected. Will this go away on its own, should we do a FW dip, or add something to the water? I need your expertise Wink
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: