Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
DIY Reflector
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY)  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Darksome
New Members

PostPosted: 2009.01.16(Fri)19:21    Post subject: DIY Reflector Reply with quote

I have been doing research on different types of reflectors and I read somewhere that the more reflective a surface is, the better...so I came up with the best reflector of them all...mirrors! Is this plausible? I know there's a flaw somewhere, that's if I were to use mirrors under the hood as a reflector...it will certainly reflect most if not all of the the light.

I want to hear your input.

My New Blog!
UncleWillie
Advisors

PostPosted: 2009.01.16(Fri)21:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mirrors would do well, but you must have the room for them in your fixture. If everything is DIY, you shouldn't have a hard time.

I think the biggest issue is to direct the light downwards into the tank.
Depending on personal taste, you may only want the mirrors above the light to reflect down. If you have it on the front and back of the light, it may scatter light around the room, rather than directly down into the tank and onto the plants.

I am not sure, but the glass on the mirrow may become very hot. The foil should be fine though.
I have also heard of people using a type of bright white paint that did well in high humidity and reflected quite well. If I can find the post on another forum, I will post back and try to shed some light on the subject. (no pun intended Wink )
Darksome
New Members

PostPosted: 2009.01.19(Mon)20:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hood itself is not DIY and it only holds one bulb...there's enough room in the hood to actually let heat escape...it doesn't get hot anyway...I should probably put the mirrors right above the bulb so it can scatter the light directly into the water. I'll see how it goes.

Thanks.

My New Blog!
Sunstar
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.01.29(Thu)16:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

buy an emergency blanket from the dollar store. it's silver. that is mylar and is excellent. just tape it down and off oyu go.
Jisty Morelove
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.01.29(Thu)16:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunstars right again Laughing ..Google Mylar .. I have intentions of making my own lighting aswell soon, and Mylars the only option for me, and very cheap really.

GL with the project

Jisty Morelove
Jason L
Advisors

PostPosted: 2009.01.29(Thu)23:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good commercial reflector is polished to a "mirror finish" and curved to the proper degree to get the most possible light into a tank. AH Supply has the best reflectors out there; but if budget is a concern, Mylar works well enough.
Sad Heart
Members

PostPosted: 2009.01.30(Fri)16:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

************ WILD IDEA NOTICE ***************

Rinse out at least 24 empty 12 oz. pop/soda/beer cans. (Watch out for sharp edges)

Arrange them in a bubble patern curved side down.

B080808080
B080808080

Tape them together with duct tape. Around the circumferance first, then the tops - covering as few holes as possible.
Run wire between the cans and attach the lights to the bottom of the fixture.

Polish the bottoms with a mild abrasive cream and a buffer attachment on your cordless drill, for best results.

The curves will reflect the light and the empty can will keep the fixture cool.

Haven't tried this yet.. but I base this plan on a Mythbusters episode.
http://kwc.org/mythbusters/2006/01/episode_45_shredded_plane_fire.html
number6
Moderators

PostPosted: 2009.02.02(Mon)19:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

mirrors do not actually make a good reflector. I've put a mylar, a polished annolux reflector and a mirror side by side and shown folks how sharp and crisp the annolux is... shocking!

Mirrors actually lose quite a bit of light through the glass and the reflective material itself is only so-so.

DIY reflector material I like are chip bags (free mylar) for temporary reflectors, aluminum metal from home depot, and then finally the polished aluminum.
Darksome
New Members

PostPosted: 2009.02.04(Wed)22:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

mylar emergency blankets...I'll look into it...cheap alternatives are always a plus, I was thinking of getting those pre-cut mirrors they sell at Michaels and WalMart...I can probably stick a couple of them under the hood...and it's not as expensive as one would think.

My New Blog!
Axelrodi202
Members

PostPosted: 2009.03.05(Thu)18:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recently, I've been reading some old aquarium books. One of them suggests painting it wight to reflect light.
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY) All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: