Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Question about banded firefish [Resolved]
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals  Reply to topic   Post new topic
tripwater
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.01.15(Thu)10:14    Post subject: Question about banded firefish [Resolved] Reply with quote

Hello,

Last Saturday I picked up 2 banded firefish (this is what the local reef store called them). They look just like all other firefish except with brown stripes or bands on them. I did a search for banded firefish on google and all I get are other firefish or coral banded shrimp. So I am going on what little bit I have read about other firefish here...

I know these fish are shy in the beginning but I am getting concerned. I have a 55 gallon reef with plenty of LR. The largest and most aggressive fish I have in this tank is a yellow headed sleeper goby so I know they should not have problems in that regard. One of the fish has been wedge under a rock since I put it in the tank and the other has pretty much disappeared. The one under the rock comes out just a fraction to occasionally try to eat, while the other has been missing since Saturday. I don't know if it is dead or eating or what. Is this to be expected? Do you think they will eventually come out and swim or will they just always stay hidden and rarely come out?

I read that firefish start out shy but eventually swim about, maybe they just need more time but I like to know the other one is at least eating.

Any light on this would be welcome. Thank you for your time.

Last edited by tripwater on 2009.01.16(Fri)13:38; edited 1 time in total
tripwater
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.01.15(Thu)17:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news, I finally spotted the other firefish hiding away. So at least I know it's alive Very Happy
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2009.01.16(Fri)10:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you post a photo, the only Firefish (a.k.a. Dartfish) with bands I can think of is the Chinese Zebra Goby, shown here:
http://saltwater.aqua-fish.net/?chinese-zebra-goby

The only other thing I can think of with brown bands is a burrowing species called the Shrimp Goby, maybe Amblyeleotris gymnocephala or A. steinitzi, as shown here:
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/GobioidPIX/ShrimpGobiesPIX/AmblyeleotrisGobies.htm
tripwater
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.01.16(Fri)10:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks FloridaBoy. I will see what I can do but these guys stay hidden and my camera is not that great. If you took a firefish's body and shape (long dorsal fin as well) and gave it a yellow head, tall black single dorsal fin, with thicker brown bands outlined in white...you would have these little guys.

Although they look ( in shape and size) identical to firefish, that second link you posted had a couple of shrimp gobies that looked similar in color.

I am uploading pics and a video now. I will post links. Hopefully they turn out
tripwater
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.01.16(Fri)11:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, most of my pictures kind of sucked. So we'll start out with a video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lagA6h3QvWw

Once he swims out for food you will see the long fin that I associate with the firefish. They were in a tank beside other firefish and looked just like them except for the patterns. They swam together in groups.

Let me know what you think.

I do have a couple of pictures that came out OK that I can upload if needed, just let me know. The pictures are of it under the rock so you don't see the fin extended but you get a clearer look at the face and patterns of the fish.
Mike612
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2009.01.16(Fri)13:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you have a Hi Fin Red Banded Goby.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+31+181&pcatid=181
tripwater
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.01.16(Fri)13:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike612 wrote:
I think you have a Hi Fin Red Banded Goby.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+31+181&pcatid=181

BOOSH!

And there it is! Thank you. Odd the place I got it from called it a banded firefish, those guys tend to really know their stuff at this marine store...

So it is known to take on with pistol shrimp I see, which is cool because I have a pistol shrimp and a yellow watchman goby and they stay on opposite sides of the tank. Hopefully between these two new guys, someone will want to hang with the pistol shrimp.

Thank you all for your posts and help. I will read up on this little guy. Smile
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2009.01.17(Sat)11:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a beautiful Shrimp Goby!
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: