Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Moving goldfish from a tank that is too small.
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds  Reply to topic   Post new topic
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2009.05.04(Mon)14:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hillstream loaches - the stone suckers - are not compatible with fantail goldfish are they need fast moving water which fancy goldfish don't appreciate.
Kanard
New Members

PostPosted: 2009.05.04(Mon)15:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

diademhill wrote:
Hillstream loaches - the stone suckers

Hi
the ones in the shop looked a bit like these ones but they were completly black (or at least very dark) and rounder. Maybe a slightly different variety, anyway likely to have the same requirements.
I will transfer the goldies first and see how they cope with the current generated by the 2 pumps, if they look fine maybe I'll give it a go.

Thanks again for the advice on this!
Jacko
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2009.05.04(Mon)17:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't go with hillstream loaches. They require completely different parameters and a completely different aquarium than a goldfish. Not only are goldfish huge waste producers (hillstream loaches are extremely sensitive to waste and low oxygen IME) but like Diademhill said, they won't do well in a high current tank. The fluvals will make about 200 GPH, pretty good for goldfish and too low for hillstream loaches. I've got my hillies in over 400 GPH current, with a filter and powerhead, they thrive in this but I can see a goldfish squished against the side or hiding in the lulls made by decor. Homoleptara might be okay with goldfish but they still like lots of currents, they tend to get bigger though so wouldn't be in any risk of an 8 inch goldfish taking a bite out of them. They're also a schooling fish so if you do go with hillstream loaches, I'd suggest at least 6.

You would be far better off leaving them as is, since dojo loaches can get too large for a 150 L (12 inches). 2 8 inch goldfish down the road are going to fill a 150 L nicely.
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.05.04(Mon)22:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diademhill's advice is PERFECT. I wish I had had that kind of detailed direction when I moved mine. I ended up losing one about a week ago - definitely due to stress. Be careful with these fish. They can take punishment to an extent, but making a clean transition for them is going to be rewarding.
Kanard
New Members

PostPosted: 2009.05.18(Mon)2:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Debriefing ong this:
The transfer went fine, after 5 days my hungry babies are fine, they have started digging around removing the plant that didn't meet their interior design taste!
Thanks everyone for the advices.
Tankmate wise I'm waiting a bit more but more likely will get sem some snais friends.
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to: