Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
pregnant gold barb
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species  Reply to topic   Post new topic
goldbarb
Members

PostPosted: 2009.01.13(Tue)19:44    Post subject: pregnant gold barb Reply with quote

is this a female gold barb.I got five gold barbs when they were tiny and I think I know have four of one sex and one of another.the rest all have lots of dark green on them and the biggest has lots of orange/red on his belly and fins.the gold barb pictured has been chased around just today.and normally they school really well.today it has been separated all day and it was hanging out at the top of the tank next to a bunch of bubbles that have formed under the power filter return.is it pregnant?should I be expecting fry?hope I'm not too late
goldbarb
Members

PostPosted: 2009.01.13(Tue)19:45    Post subject: sorry here are the pics Reply with quote

[img][/img]
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2009.01.14(Wed)4:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gold barbs breed in exactly the same way as goldfish which they are closely related to Very Happy
They scatter eggs during a chase. It isn't uncommon for an egg or fry to go uneaten in a thickly planted tank but let nature take it's course and all the fish in the tank get a high protein feed.

I would say your fat fish is a female and the one behind could be too, markings are not gender specific and these are a colour bred variety of a greenish fish.
They are big enough to breed but a long way from full sized - they often exceed 4" SL (over 5" total length).
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: