Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Heater for a 2.5 Gallon
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Bubbles13
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.02.01(Sun)21:02    Post subject: Heater for a 2.5 Gallon Reply with quote

Hey all!

I've got a question. I have two 2.5 gallons with my two bettas in them. I don't currently have any heaters in there, and I'm wanting to put one in each. If anyone has any experience with any heaters for small tanks and can help me out with choosing one, please let me know! Very Happy
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.02.01(Sun)21:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this:

http://www.petco.com/product/102429/Hydor-Mini-Aquarium-Heater.aspx
Bubbles13
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.02.01(Sun)21:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

See, I would, but it only raises the water 2-5* above what it's usually at. Mine's at room temperature, which is about 70*F. I really want a heater that's going to get my water temp up to 78* or so. Sorry, I should have been more specific! Embarassed
Advisors

PostPosted: 2009.02.02(Mon)2:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Connect them with a small overflow type device and then run a 25 watt heater.

Something like this will let the water equilibrate and reduce the possibility of the big heater cooking things. Over the top tube...
Doosharm
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2009.02.02(Mon)3:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't think the one FrontosaKing posted will work, try the Elite Mini Heater from Hagen. Since it is a 25w heater it can heat up to a 5.5 gallon tank but it has an auto shutoff if it gets above a predesignated temperature (usually 77-78 ). I use them in the two BioCube 8s we have at work because I can hide them in the back filter section. They work well and fit quite nicely Very Happy

Good luck!

DJ

Last edited by Doosharm on 2009.02.02(Mon)18:53; edited 1 time in total
Bubbles13
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.02.02(Mon)15:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Psyfalcon- I'm still learning, and as such, I suppose I don't understand the overflow tube thing? Also, the tanks are about 8 feet apart.

Doosharm- Did that heater work well for you? A couple of the places I looked at them gave them bad ratings.

I was looking at these heaters online. Are they any good?
http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/prod/198325/I/1/product.web
http://www.amazon.com/Hydor-T11702-THEO-Heater-25W/dp/B0006JLPG8/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1233604554&sr=8-2
[/b]
Advisors

PostPosted: 2009.02.02(Mon)16:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heaters are a crap shoot Bubbles. Some folks have lots of problems others have none.

I have used lots of of heaters: Stealths, Ebos the inexpensive 25W no name from Wal*Mart and they all work fine. The only ones that ever gave me trouble were the HOB heaters that came with Kits, and that was a long time ago.

Unless the heater is way oversized any one will probably be OK. Back up the heater with a Stick On outside thermometer and check each day with a hand check to make sure that the heater has not malfunctioned. Your skin is very sensitive to temperature so use that to quick check the temp. Check the Stick On as you fool with the tank and always make sure that the tank circuit is protected by a GFCI or be sure to turn off the juice to the tank before touching anything. Water does not take on or give up heat very fast so a smaller heater is better then a big one and heaters work on a thermostat and will, if working properly, not overheat your tank without prior warning. A daily hand test is required, so your tank does not get into danger zones.

This is a lot to remember but just take it slow and try not to do anything without asking. Any question is not dumb but not asking can be very dumb.
Doosharm
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2009.02.02(Mon)18:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

To answer your question, yes they work very well for me. At work I have two BioCube 8 systems, one salt and one fresh, both running with the heater I linked to you and the temp is generally pretty stable. The accuracy isn't as good as, say, a Jager heater but its still within a degree or two of the target.

Generally though I agree with Cliff Mayes on ths one. As long as you get in the ballpark and do safety checks every once in a while you should be fine. Good luck!

DJ
Bubbles13
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.02.02(Mon)20:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, thank you all for your input!
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: