Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Creating some sort of reservoir for my 50 gallon
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment  Reply to topic   Post new topic
JamesK
New Members

PostPosted: 2009.02.07(Sat)19:50    Post subject: Creating some sort of reservoir for my 50 gallon Reply with quote

I recently started my first personal aquarium several months ago and have been continually learning about the hobby ever since. I work at a pet store so you can imagine the amount of knowledge that can be gained about aquariums there. I have been wondering the best way to set up a smaller tank as a reservoir of fresh water that can connect to my main tank. I'd like to put my filters (I have two) in the smaller tank and effectively raise the overall volume in the tank. I'm not sure if this is commonly done or if it is a worthwhile endeavour at all. Any feedback would be appreciated on the idea, thanks in advance.
Doosharm
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2009.02.07(Sat)20:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets start with the last part of that first.

It is not very common to run a sump on a frehwater setup, especially one as large as yours. Unless you have a dire need for extra water volume I would question the necessity of a sump in the first place. However, there are certainly some benfits to having one.

Depending upon how you set it up, a sump can offer added stability with more water volume, extra filtration, even a home for fish/inverts/plants that aren't suitable for your main tank. If you wished to add a sump to your system you can find plans for them all over the place. Just decide what you want the sump to do for you first and then build it from there. All you really need is an old aquarium, a few pumps and some tubing to get it to work. If you still want to make a sump and want more details, just say so and I'll elaborate.

Good luck and congrats on your job at a pet shop. It's a lot of fun isn't it?!

DJ
Marcos Avila
Moderators

PostPosted: 2009.02.07(Sat)20:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

That

Success with a fish/tank is measured in YEARS, not months or weeks...
JamesK
New Members

PostPosted: 2009.02.07(Sat)20:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to try to build a sump, as I think it would be a good experience and at least partially beneficial, although I do have access to canister filters.

My main tank's dimensions are 36"L x 16"W x 20"H and the aquarium I'm looking at to use for the sump is 19.5"L X 10"W X 16"H. Is this size adequate or even possible to use then or should I try and get one of different dimensions? If it is plausible, what is the most efficient way to get it done and in what location relative to the main tank should it be.

Thanks for the responses already given.

-JamesK
Doosharm
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2009.02.07(Sat)21:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marcos Avila wrote:
You
Marcos Avila
Moderators

PostPosted: 2009.02.08(Sun)5:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doosharm: great to have you back and posting! Smile

One important concern about the design you described (or any external filter BTW) is "What happens when things go wrong?"

In the present case, it concerns me that there

number6
Moderators

PostPosted: 2009.02.08(Sun)16:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doosharm, if the red pipe running out of the bottom of the external box was higher than the end of the u-tube, no pump required and it solves Marcos' worry about powerloss.

I hate taking photos, but I have the exact setup doosharm explains with the change I note above and it's perfect. In the event of a power outage, the flow stops but the utube stays full of water. Perhaps I can be persuaded to go to the effort of photos... Wink

When the power comes back on, it all resumes right where it left off.
Doosharm
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2009.02.08(Sun)16:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Marcos Avila"]Doosharm: great to have you back and posting! Smile
[\quote]

Thanks a lot Marcos! It's good to know I wasn't forgotten and even better to be back! Very Happy

And thank you for pointing out my folly in the design and thanks to number6 for knowing the fix! As number6 pointed out, it does work pretty well.

So there you go JamesK. You can do it as I described, with the additions number6 made and have yourself a working sump for your 50g tank!

DJ
Marcos Avila
Moderators

PostPosted: 2009.02.08(Sun)17:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

number6 wrote:
Perhaps I can be persuaded to go to the effort of photos... Wink

pweese...? Laughing

Seriously, I couldn't make a mental image of your solution and convince myself that my issue would be solved...

Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: