Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Petco Moss Balls
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Didgeridoo
New Members

PostPosted: 2009.01.07(Wed)19:19    Post subject: Petco Moss Balls Reply with quote

I just got one of those moss balls they sell at petco that are attached to a weight with fishing line. I heard that they are java moss stuck to a ping-pong ball, which is great for me because I couldn't find java moss anywhere else.

My question is, is there a safe way to get the moss off of the ball and onto a rock or something? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
MackEmmons
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.01.08(Thu)19:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moss balls are typical not moss, but in fact are algae. A fairly common type of algae.
Darkblade48
Advisors

PostPosted: 2009.01.08(Thu)20:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

As FrontosaKing said, most of those moss balls are actually "algae balls." They usually use a Cladophora spp. of algae.
Darksome
New Members

PostPosted: 2009.01.13(Tue)16:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

the ones that they sell at petco, the floating ones, are actually made of java moss, they are not marimo balls which is what you are confusing them...yes, I have heard people take the java moss off the ball and tying it to a rock...that java moss seems to be of a different species though, I got some of that same java moss, but it wasn't in a ball, it was a "bunch"...it looks like willow moss, except it isn't.
MackEmmons
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.01.13(Tue)19:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darksome wrote:
the ones that they sell at petco, the floating ones, are actually made of java moss, they are not marimo balls which is what you are confusing them...yes, I have heard people take the java moss off the ball and tying it to a rock...that java moss seems to be of a different species though, I got some of that same java moss, but it wasn't in a ball, it was a "bunch"...it looks like willow moss, except it isn't.

Can you post a picture of this, I would like to see.
Darksome
New Members

PostPosted: 2009.01.13(Tue)20:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a picture...I've seen them at petco and I can assure you that it is indeed java moss, basically it's an artificially made "moss ball"...not natural as in marimo balls.
MackEmmons
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.01.13(Tue)20:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darksome wrote:
I don't have a picture...I've seen them at petco and I can assure you that it is indeed java moss, basically it's an artificially made "moss ball"...not natural as in marimo balls.

Marimo balls aren't natural either. Java moss rhizoids aren't strong enough, nor does a ping pong ball have rough enough of a texture for java moss to hold onto it. That is part of the reason I am skeptical. I have been working with plants for over a year now, and even before I started I have NEVER seen a "moss" ball that had anything besides algae on it.

EDIT: after a little research, Marimo Balls do occur naturally, my mistake. But more than likely, they are not collected in the wild, but rather grown in facilities.
Darksome
New Members

PostPosted: 2009.01.13(Tue)21:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

The java moss is actually tied onto styrofoam balls, I know this because I've seen some of them teared up in the fish tanks...hence why they float...they are obviously left to grow over the styrofoam ball to give it a full look...and no I don't think they make the marimo balls...from what I've heard they still collect them which is why they are endangered of becoming extinct...they are after all, natural and not man made.
Ridge95
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.01.14(Wed)22:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I own a real moss ball and laugh when I see the ones at petco Laughing
deborah_claro
Advisors

PostPosted: 2009.01.14(Wed)23:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Java moss rhizoids aren't strong enough, nor does a ping pong ball have rough enough of a texture for java moss to hold onto it.

Java moss can attach itself to almost anything. I have some growing right now, attached to the smooth black plastic of the water return chute.
I didn't plan it that way, but somehow a couple of strands got a hold about three years ago, and I've been trimming back a huge beard of it ever since.
You'd be surprised at what Java moss can do.
Very Happy
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: