Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Purple Porites!!!
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Ocean Hugger
Members

PostPosted: 2009.01.06(Tue)19:56    Post subject: Purple Porites!!! Reply with quote

Iam starting to buy more and more sps corals to fill my 120 gallon reef tank illuminated with 10k metal halide and 10k dual antics my lighting system is over the top for most of the corals I have right now. Well lets get to the point I was looking on liveaquara.com (divers den)and came across a deep purple encrusting porites so I did what I learned to do the hard way do some research before I but excpecially when the coral was 99 dollars plus 34 for shipping. I have had a green horn coral (sps) for many months and I has done great. so I bought it I was wondering if anyone had any useful links or tips to increase its survival I hate to kill things from my doings.

this is the actual pic of the coral
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
Michael L.
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2009.01.06(Tue)20:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of lighting do you have?
Moderators

PostPosted: 2009.01.07(Wed)16:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a beautiful color... when it comes in make sure you quarantine it for several weeks and check it for tiny Nudibranchs, I think there is a type called Phestilla lugubris that will kill/eat Porites.

You'll want to fortify your water with the usual SPS helpers like calcium, strontium and trace elements. Be sure to feed it with micro-plankton while its showing extended tentacles. Your success will improve with research... especially with SPS corals. Wink
Ocean Hugger
Members

PostPosted: 2009.01.07(Wed)19:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 150 watt 10k metal halides that I run for 6 hours a day and 130 watt 460nm/420nm dual antics that I run for 7 hours a day
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
Ocean Hugger
Members

PostPosted: 2009.01.07(Wed)19:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

FloridaBoy wrote:
That is a beautiful color... when it comes in make sure you quarantine it for several weeks and check it for tiny Nudibranchs, I think there is a type called Phestilla lugubris that will kill/eat Porites.

You'll want to fortify your water with the usual SPS helpers like calcium, strontium and trace elements. Be sure to feed it with micro-plankton while its showing extended tentacles. Your success will improve with research... especially with SPS corals. Wink

thanks your always a big help Very Happy I was also wondering if you had any good links that a sps wanter should read (not that I haven't read almost read half the Internet lets say I get obsessed with my tank but hey at 15 what else can I do I can't drive)
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2009.01.08(Thu)0:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would head over to Reef Central, they have a big SPS forum and you can learn a lot from that site. Just keep in mind, some of those systems cost many, many thousands of dollars and they are highly susceptible to failure due to the delicate nature of those corals. Here's a link:
http://www.reefcentral.com/
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: