Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Making an acrylic tank
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY)  Reply to topic   Post new topic
drakedeming
Members

PostPosted: 2008.12.30(Tue)8:55    Post subject: Making an acrylic tank Reply with quote

How many people have done this? I have read articles online and it does not see m very hard. I have a 55 gallon and a 30 gallon I would like to switch over to acrylic as well as custom backgrounds. Any input on whether or not it is worth it would be very helpful. The other reason is because I hear acrylic insulates better. I have no AC in my house and am wondering if this would help keep the tank a little cooler in the summer? Thanks
turk359
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.01.05(Mon)8:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have created several sump tanks and overflows from acrylic. It is not hard if you are handy. I would suggest purchasing a piece of acrylic and building a little box first just to see how well you can do it. Practice makes perfect.

The main benefits of acrylic is that it is lighter and stronger. It, however, does scratch easier. I have been wanting to do a large aquarium (125+ gallons) for a while now. It turns out that it is cheaper to purchase acrylic sheets and build the large tank myself then it is to purchase glass.

If you get really good and invest in acrylic tools, you can shape the acrylic into whatever you want.
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY) All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: