Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Newbie - marine hermit crab question
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals  Reply to topic   Post new topic
suekenneypfalzer
New Members

PostPosted: 2008.12.05(Fri)0:28    Post subject: Newbie - marine hermit crab question Reply with quote

We've never had an aquarium before but my son is obsessed with marine hermit crabs since we moved to Palau and he finds them at the beach. We'd like to buy a small saltwater tank for him but it would be for crabs only. Any advice as to how to do this? Everything I've been finding on the web is either about land crabs or about marine fish and coral. For example, what would we feed these crabs?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2008.12.05(Fri)23:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings in Palau,

That is one of my favorite places in the world, I have made two trips out there and we love the scuba diving in Palau. We always stay at PPR and go diving with the Splash crew. Take a look at the Ben Franklin store in Koror, they might have some small aquarium kits.

For hermit crabs alone, you can get away with a very small system like one of the Eclipse models, these have a built in wet dry filter, you can use a thin layer of coral sand or crushed coral for substrate, this one is 12 inches long at 3 gallons:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3730+9017+3848&pcatid=3848

this one is 6 gallons:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3730+9017+3857&pcatid=3857

And this one is a little bigger at 12 gallons:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3730+9017+3865&pcatid=3865

Keep in mind, the minimum size I usually suggest for marine tanks is 29-30 gallons because of the stability required for marine fish. If you think there is a chance you will want to add a small fish like a goby or clownfish, I would suggest a minimum 30 gallon simple set up employing an undergravel filter with crushed coral substrate, a heater, basic flourescent strip light and a cover. You can probably get away without the heater for crabs, but if you want to add a small fish later the heater will be required (this keeps the temperature from fluctuating at night). The undergravel filter can be driven with 2 small powerheads or even a basic air pump will work. Another thing to keep in mind, larger hermit crabs can pose a threat to the fish.
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: