Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Natives Are the Shizz! *Updated Pics 12/29*
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Forum Index > Photo Album  Reply to topic   Post new topic
CHBGator
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.11.18(Tue)19:07    Post subject: Natives Are the Shizz! *Updated Pics 12/29* Reply with quote

I decided to post pics of my Natives in my 600 Gallon so UncleWille wouldn't have to be the only one here to prove that North American Natives aren't dull and boring fish! The tank overall is a bit dull atm need more driftwood but I'll have upgraded lighting this Christmas so after that its going to be a big planted tank full of NA native plants I only have 4 40W T12 bulbs on atm for a whopping total of 160W but after the upgrade I'll have 2 new T5 HO fixtures with a total of 648 watts. .

Here is a head shot of my 16" Spotted/Florida Gar.

All 4 gar together 3 spotted/Florida and 1 Longnose

Gars, Yellow Perch and Pumpkinseed sunfishoh and one out of place Geo.

Warmouth far right.

Bad blury pic of one of the Pumpkinseeds.

Warmouth and his favorite ambush spot under a piece of driftwood.

Both Pumpkinseeds the first day together. It was a little hairy in the beginning but they are buddies now.

Juvi green Sunfish

Relaxing after munching on some feeders.

Last edited by CHBGator on 2008.12.29(Mon)20:22; edited 1 time in total
UncleWillie
Advisors

PostPosted: 2008.11.18(Tue)20:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome! I am glad you posted pics. The gar are beautiful. And since I am a sunfish lover, your p-seeds and warmouth are great. Those pics with the p-seeds is on the day you put them in? Wow! they will look great when they get a little bit of green tones. That warmouth will be right at home with more plants wood. Believe it or not, your lighting looks quite bright.. maybe its the light substrate. Did you collect the substrate yourself?
With a large tank like you've built, it is hard to add that structure you are looking for - like that big log. Maybe you'll find some wood or something that could maybe add some vertical structure (I know that some plants may help. Either way, it is beautiful and thanks for sharing.
MCHRKiller
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.11.18(Tue)20:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice tanks Very Happy And I must say I'm totally jealous of your gars. If your looking for some huge driftwood and don't care to pay a bit for it RockArtSource on ebay always has some great driftwood. I ordered a lot of 5 large pieces for my 150 and 100G as I wasnt expecting the wood to be nearly as large as it is...they don't lie when they say large. Wink
mac
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.11.18(Tue)21:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
Very nice looking native fish.

Cheers for sharing them with us.

mac
CHBGator
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.11.18(Tue)21:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I'm actually looking for some nice branches to put in there to make it look like the branches of a fallen tree into the water. The substrate is not collected its Leveling sand from Home Depot for patio pavers. Check this pic out of the warmouth the day we caught him and put him in the QT tank. Warmouth are like mini Largemouth bass huge mouths and they can put some pretty big feeders down.

For the 1st 20 min or so after I put the other pumpkinseed in there the one that had been in the tank for a while did not like the new guy one bit! He was flaring his gills out and doing what can only be described as top gun control tower fly bys lol. Then when the new one figured out what was going on they were both flaring gills and circling eachother but it soon ended when they each picked a side of the tank and stayed there for a few days now they swim around with eachother with no problems. I forgot to mention the complete stocklist in there. 3 Spotted/Florida gar 1 longnose gar, 5 Yellow Perch, 2 Pumpkinseed sunfish, 2 Green Sunfish, 1 Bluegill, 1 Warmouth and a very clever crayfish thats survived about 2 months in there, hes even managed to molt without being eaten. Shocked every day hes under a different rock or piece of wood.

I'm going to check out RockArtSource right now thansk for the tip. oh and if your faint of heart or a goldfish lover DON'T watch any of the videos lol
nikelodeon79
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.11.18(Tue)22:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful fish!

Aren't you worried about feeding them feeders? Spreading disease and all...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
mac
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.11.18(Tue)22:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
The new fish look nice.
Your idea of some branches is great. It will look good.

mac
mac
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.11.18(Tue)22:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
DO the gar swim fast, or not much?

The Ocean gar that I use to catch where very good at swimming fast with or with out a hook in the mouth.

mac
UncleWillie
Advisors

PostPosted: 2008.11.18(Tue)22:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

That warmouth is beautiful.
I also was going to ask about diet - and feeders as Nik mentioned.
I cna't imagine your feeding schedule/expenses with the gar, perch and warmouth (and soon the greens).
Thanks for posting the entire stock list. I'm guessing you caught most of the sunfish yourself?
Mac, gars are ambush pretators and usually lay still and wait, or move extremely slow to stalk fish. They do a quick slash of there snout and catch/injur the prey with appearant ease. With all those needle teeth, fish are impaled and cannot escape. If you ever touch the teeth (on a gar skull) you can barely touch them and they will hang onto your skin and clothing with no problem. (In fact, many people catch gar without hooks - they just use a small chunk of nylon rope. When the gar botes the rope, its teeth get caught and you can real them in just as if they were hooked.)
CHBGator
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.11.18(Tue)22:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

nikelodeon79 wrote:
Beautiful fish!

Aren't you worried about feeding them feeders? Spreading disease and all...

Not really. Most of the fish are wild caught and much more resistant to disease and infection than tank raised fish. I have a QT tank for all my feeders. The guy I buy from has some pretty healthy ones at that I've had maybe 5 dead feeders out of about 1000 I've bought from him. Good water quality and 200G PWC every other week help a lot to keep the fish healthy.

Quote:
Hi,
DO the gar swim fast, or not much?

The Ocean gar that I use to catch where very good at swimming fast with or with out a hook in the mouth.

They have nice bursts but these are True gar and they only live in North and central America and Cuba.
 Forum Index > Photo Album All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to: