Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Sakrete Playsand as Substrate?
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks  Reply to topic   Post new topic
SOletsgo
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.11.24(Mon)17:45    Post subject: Sakrete Playsand as Substrate? Reply with quote

Okay, so I just got this 50 lb bag of Sakrete Natural Play Sand and I was intending to use it as a substrate, but before opening it I decided to reasearch it. So far I haven't been able to find anything that mentions it as substrate for a freshwater tank. So, if anyone can help me out about its suitability as a substrate for hardy plants and panda cories that would be a great help. Smile
MackEmmons
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.11.24(Mon)19:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most playsands are great substrates, I use it in 3 of my six, all three are planted to some extent.

Rinse it well by putting it in a clean bucket and run freshwater through it, while stirring it up. Then dump the water out, and repeat until the water turns clear. It will take a long time, mind you.

Depending on the plants you want to grow, it will do perfectly fine, I have not had any problems growing anything. To determine it if will be alright with Corydoras, just check to see if it is sharp or has an abbrasive texture, if it is its not the best to use, if its not it'll be good.
CHBGator
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.11.24(Mon)20:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used playsand in one of my tanks once and it works great. My vals grew like crazy in it and my loaches seemed like they really enjoyed it also. Its the perfect size for them to sift through their mouths and out their gills.
SOletsgo
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.11.26(Wed)12:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I picked the finest playsand I could find. Its grain size is very even and doesn't abrade the hand when rubbed.
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: