Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Increasing pH in bottled water
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry  Reply to topic   Post new topic
mark 45
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.11.15(Sat)21:07    Post subject: Increasing pH in bottled water Reply with quote

Hey all,

I am using bottled water for my salt water tank. The pH of the bottled water is very low 6.7 I am adjusting it with chemical aditives. I know that in the fresh water tanks I added baking soda to increase the pH/ KH. Is there an inexpensive way to increase the pH for my salt water tank like baking soda or calcium/carbonate magnesium sulphate........? or in other words make the bottled water have a pH of 8.3..

Mark
Moderators

PostPosted: 2008.11.15(Sat)22:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tested your water with a marine test kit after mixing your artificial salt into it? Most marine mixes have buffers that will take care of this automatically for you when the salt mix is dissolved into the freshwater.
mark 45
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.11.17(Mon)20:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes,

The pH of the mixed water is about 8.2 when first mixed, after it is in the tank it will fall if I do not add the additives. The bottled water has a pH of 6.7 and the KH is about 2. I am making it work but I know sometimes there are less expensive bulk chemicals that can be used instead of the LFS additives.

Mark
Moderators

PostPosted: 2008.11.18(Tue)0:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, good news:
you can use baking soda in marine water also, although I'm a little puzzled as to why it's dropping so fast.
I'm not sure if you are running a reef tank or just a basic fish system, but without some type of buffering eventually they will all start dropping, as the system becomes more acidic. The thing you want to avoid is pH shock to your animals caused by rapid changes, but I'm sure you already know that.
One thing that will help with pH is increasing aeration, even adding a simple air stone will burn off CO2 and help.
Understanding alkalinity is also important in this battle.
Here are a couple of articles that may help you:
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/alkalinity.htm
http://saltaquarium.about.com/cs/phalkalinity/a/aa061301.htm
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: