Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
a new start
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry  Reply to topic   Post new topic
okieman
New Members

PostPosted: 2008.11.11(Tue)20:52    Post subject: a new start Reply with quote

iam trying to set up a 55 gal salt water tank. this is the third try. both failed badly. don't have a very good source for info but reading a lot on here. when I tried the first setup I was told to use a crushed coral as a substrate. it has sat for a wile in a not so clean tank. what would be the best way to clean and reuse. I see a lot of poster use sand is this better.

thanks
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2008.11.13(Thu)14:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh, sorry you have had these problems, there is no need for this. I can tell you how to have a successful tank using either substrate, but it depends on the animals and the type of marine system you want. Please describe your goals for livestock, what do you intend to keep in your tank...
okieman
New Members

PostPosted: 2008.11.17(Mon)21:38    Post subject: sump Reply with quote

thanks OK I made it, this is where I am at at this point have substrated in some rock, filters up and running, but all the trace elaments in, and powerheads runing, salinty is at 1.023 and pH is around 8.0 will retest on sat. not cycling just yet just starting to climp. will retest around sat to see if it is doing better. just bought a reef system 4 stage r/o it is up and runing as well. would like to set up wet/dry filters for the 55 and the 150 but might have to try to build depending on the price in pretty deep right now which I sure u know... lol I will start reading the link u have sent me. once I get this one down will want to move to the 150 and do salt on it aswell thanks for the help/ want to do a fish only tanks community type something for all the family.
okieman
New Members

PostPosted: 2008.11.17(Mon)22:34    Post subject: yap your right have to get some funds to gether Reply with quote

building one is over my head your right I will have to buy one to set up, the link u sent was great, lots of info/ we just got a new petco in ardmore / and a small marine store I found aswell . so some quick chems ect they should have in stock. hope they make it. will not have to haul fish 80 miles . but the petco guys know hardly nothing just some young kids. one kinda haad a grasp on thing but will stick to the guys like yall for the right info.

once again thanks for the help
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2008.11.18(Tue)0:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before proceeding, make this your next purchase:
http://www.amazon.com/Conscientious-Marine-Aquarist-Commonsense-Successful/dp/1890087025
okieman
New Members

PostPosted: 2008.11.20(Thu)19:40    Post subject: book Reply with quote

OK thanks will get one orderd
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: