Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Jim The Betta - 10g Home
 Forum Index > Photo Album  Reply to topic   Post new topic
JimTheBetta
New Members

PostPosted: 2008.11.24(Mon)18:17    Post subject: Jim The Betta - 10g Home Reply with quote

Well I figured id show off my betta, who inspired the username I've been using around fishy type places Very Happy Jim started out life in a small 2g tank, with nothing but gravel, a java fern, and a small cave. he is now living life wonderfully in a 10g tank, with 2 moneywort, Topfin 20 filter, 50w heater, multiple rock caves, and his old java fern which I'm trying to save.

Jim like to flare at the camera xD

His home

I actually found that one of the two shrimp that lived with him is still alive as well. I thought he had killed them both off, but low and behold one was out and about walking around the tank today!! Go ghost shrimp!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
Shai
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.11.24(Mon)23:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful crowntail! You've done a great job with his home. : )
MCHRKiller
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.11.25(Tue)0:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

He is a beautiful betta Very Happy Are you using incandescent lamps on the 10G? If so you may want to switch to some screw in flourescents for the live plants and some light dosing of liquid ferts couldnt hurt either Smile
JimTheBetta
New Members

PostPosted: 2008.11.25(Tue)0:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shai wrote:
Beautiful crowntail! You've done a great job with his home. : )

Thank you Very Happy I've been trying to get the java fern healthy again, but its looking like ill have to replace it. The moneywort on the other hand is thriving. I need to start pruning it as its grown out of the water and about to touch the bulb xD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
Shai
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.11.26(Wed)21:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's very strange the java fern is giving you trouble... They are low light plants, really easy and somewhat indestructible. Ideally it needs to be attached to a piece of wood or decoration though (but they can be grown in gravel too).

I agree with MCHRKiller, if you aren't using a CF bulb you should think about it; less power consumption and less heat for the same amount of light. I have a 50/50 CF on my 5g betta tank and the plants are growing very well; depending on the visual spectrum you might like that type of bulb or perhaps the more yellow-red "Colormax" kind.

However, my 10g came with a canopy that took standard fluorescent tubes. If that's the case you might want to swap it out for something like an AquaGlo or FloraGlo (Hagen brand tubes).
 Forum Index > Photo Album All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: