Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
DIY filter
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY)  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jo-Pony
New Members

PostPosted: 2008.10.24(Fri)12:37    Post subject: DIY filter Reply with quote

I found this on aquaticfreakshow. I thought it was neat, and I tried it.

I've used UGF's in the past, but I've found that over time, they can be dangerous, and not very effective.

This DIY filter works on the same principle as a UGF, but it's much easier and safer to clean. It really helps with biological filtration. I added some sponge and a bit of carbon in mine, so now I get mechanical and chemical filtration all in one!

Another bonus is that it aerates the water! The only downside I can think of, is that it isn't the greatest for bigger tanks.

I would like to add, that I would never use this filter alone in a tank, unless it was a 10G quarantine and I had more than one of these filters set up.

I do have a reverse UGF in my 20G right now, along with my DIY and some HOB's. Everything works great!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rj1Glx5anfM
Marcos Avila
Moderators

PostPosted: 2008.10.29(Wed)18:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

I abandoned normal UGF's about 12 years ago, but I've used a reverse UGF on an african cichlid tank as secondary, extra biofiltration and I liked the result, would do it again.

Success with a fish/tank is measured in YEARS, not months or weeks...
MCHRKiller
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.11.08(Sat)23:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made a very simlar design back in the day...granted mine never looked that good Laughing But I do agree the reverse flow UGFs are suberb additional biofiltration, I havent used one in years but am re-incorporating one into my up and coming CA/SA cichlid tank Smile
ilikefish
Members

PostPosted: 2008.11.18(Tue)1:19    Post subject: Re: DIY filter Reply with quote

Jo-Pony wrote:
I found this on aquaticfreakshow. I thought it was neat, and I tried it.

I've used UGF's in the past, but I've found that over time, they can be dangerous, and not very effective.

This DIY filter works on the same principle as a UGF, but it's much easier and safer to clean. It really helps with biological filtration. I added some sponge and a bit of carbon in mine, so now I get mechanical and chemical filtration all in one!

Another bonus is that it aerates the water! The only downside I can think of, is that it isn't the greatest for bigger tanks.

I would like to add, that I would never use this filter alone in a tank, unless it was a 10G quarantine and I had more than one of these filters set up.

I do have a reverse UGF in my 20G right now, along with my DIY and some HOB's. Everything works great!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rj1Glx5anfM

OK, I give, whats so dangerous about UGF's?
James in OH
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.11.28(Fri)22:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the dangerous thing about UGF is what happened to me....

I was using a UGF about 14 years ago in my 20 gallon tank, I was siphoning the gravel which I did regularly and the next day the tank was so dirty. I had disturbed the "biological bed underneath the UGF tray and the "silt" never settled down. I had to drain almost the entire tank and hope for the best!

in the end the tank came back to life about a week later, but after about 3 months I ripped the entire tank apart and took out the UGF and replaced it with a penguin filter system.
Ridge95
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.12.28(Sun)14:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

my friend made for his tank and we used silcone to stick plants o and it looked cool Very Happy
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY) All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: