Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
55g Corydora Community
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Forum Index > Photo Album  Reply to topic   Post new topic
nikelodeon79
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.10.16(Thu)16:00    Post subject: 55g Corydora Community Reply with quote

As many of you might've guessed, I am a bit of a coryaholic. Laughing I recently converted my 55g into a cory centered tank. It's always been cory friendly, but now I'm starting to focus on the cories first and foremost (temp, tankmates, etc.).

A full tank pic:

I am thinking of removing the Amazon sword in the middle. It just seems kinda... blah. I have a great Aponogeton ulvaceus that I'm thinking of taking out of my betta sorority (it's quickly overtaking the tank and blocking the light to the low lying plants) that I might put in place of the sword in the 55g. Any thoughts?

Tankmakes for the cories are currently 12 harlequin rasboras:

3 glowlight danios:

and 2 emperor tetras:

The emperors are going to be rehomed, mostly because I don't want to use room in my tank to restock the school.

Of all the fish I've tried so far, I've found harlequin rasboras to be the best tankmates for corydoras. The tend to mind their own business, not steal much of the cories' food, and provide peaceful movement overhead.

The worst tankmates I've tried have been bettas and zebra danios. The bettas steal the food (and I suspect harrass the cories) and the zebras also steal the food and are just too hyperactive for the much calmer cories.

The glowlight danios are a bit hyper as well, though not as bad as their zebra cousins. I'm sure they would be more active in a larger school, however I'm focusing more on the cories at the moment and Danio choprai is a species that is difficult to locate, especially at affordable prices.

I'll stop now, and post pics of the cories in the next installment of this thread. Very Happy

(btw, I also plan on turning the hideous background around - I think it's black on the other side).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
nikelodeon79
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.10.16(Thu)16:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now for the stars of the show:

Corydoras leucomelas:

Corydoras panda:

Corydoras habrosus:

More cory pics:

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
ernie
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.10.16(Thu)16:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very healthy corys and plants you've got there Very Happy
You mentioned moving the Amazon sword and replacing it with the Aponogeton... I agree with your thought as well as the Aponogeton would look rather attractive with its wavy leaves in the position of the sword. The bubble effect looks rather nice too Wink

Cheers, Ernie
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.10.16(Thu)17:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice looking tank. Is that the complete stock??

(\__/)
(='.'=)
('')_('')
fuwafuwadesune
Members

PostPosted: 2008.10.16(Thu)18:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uah! Your cories are so cute! I like the last picture, they're all lined up in a row. And the tank is beautiful too, the plants are so lush.

Your sand looks really soft also. I really like the little spotty one with the mask n_n
Jacko
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2008.10.16(Thu)21:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice Nik! Have you figured out the last school of cories your gonna get?

I like apons, mine always grew too big for the 10 gallons when I had them, so I've never gotten more. Laughing They would look good in there though!

I love your habrosus, but I am a bit partial to them. Wink
The tank looks really good too! Though I'm wondering how you are keeping the amazon so small? Constant trimming?
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.10.17(Fri)8:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the comments, everyone. Very Happy

cichlidboy: My complete stock list is:
7x C. panda
6x C. habrosus
5x C. leucomelas
12x harlequin rasbora
3x glowlight danio
2x emperor tetra
3x otocinclus

I will be rehoming the emperors and upping my numbers of cories in each species and otocinclus. As Jacko mentioned, I'd also like to get a fourth species of corydora. Wink

Jacko: I really, really, really want this one: http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/species.php?species_id=1844. You're the master of finding rare fish: find them for me!!! Laughing

I have no idea why the sword stays so small... it just does. I suppose when I get the right bulbs for my light (*grumbles about backorders*) it might take off...
nikelodeon79
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.10.22(Wed)22:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

An update:

As you can see, I replaced the sword with an apon from one of my other tanks.

I lost an oto today. He was in perfect condition... except he was dead. Confused No marks anywhere on his body, nice tummy, etc. I had a busy couple of weeks so I waited two weeks between water changes... nitrates were still under 20 but the oto still died. They sure are sensitive. Sad I'm not sure if I have any left in there... they're so good at hiding.

I've been thinking of getting some Otocinclus cocama (zebra otos), but I definitely have to figure out how to keep them alive before investing in any.
Tsartetra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.10.23(Thu)12:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nik, I have no idea what that species is, but have you considered C. trilineatus (you know, the 'other Julii' Rolling Eyes ). It looks fairly similar to that unnamed species and my personal fav.
LordVolker
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.10.25(Sat)17:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that water sprite in the far left side?
 Forum Index > Photo Album All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to: