Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Modify a stand to fit a bigger tank
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY)  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Shai
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.10.13(Mon)23:10    Post subject: Modify a stand to fit a bigger tank Reply with quote

I noticed today that my 33g tank is bowing across the front. Not a whole lot (less than a centimeter at the worst point), but any bowing is worrisome.

When I was at an LFS yesterday I noticed they had a 40g in stock. It's 36"L, same as my 33g, but it's something like 18"W.

The stand I have my 33g on is only 13"W. It's this one:

The stand is wood. If I replaced the top of the stand with a new piece of wood that is, say, 19"W (or attached this piece of wood onto the existing surface) and positioned the new piece so an equal amount hung over the front and back (would be 3" on both sides), would the width of the 40g still be supported safely? It would be nice to add a few gallons for the stock I have in this tank since I need to replace the 33g anyway (and the 40g is short too, which I like)--but I'd rather not have to get a whole new stand to do it. : \
krt
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.10.17(Fri)20:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could work out alright if you put braces down underneath the new top.

red=old stand -- green=braces -- purple=new top

Make sure you use quality wood (ie- NOT pine, I'd recommend oak for the braces with a 1/2" maple plywood top), it may cost a little more but peace of mind is worth it, you could even decorate the new edge with moulding.

K
Quitty_Quat
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.10.18(Sat)19:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Omg... I've never even thought about a tank bowing out.
Shai you've made me terribly paranoid, please tell me you've an acrylic or something? XD
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.10.19(Sun)2:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a glass tank. The brand in question does not come with center braces at that size.

krt, thank you very much for going to all that trouble! The diagram is wonderful. Since a day or two had passed since I made my original post I decided not to wait any longer and replaced the tank with another 33g. I didn't want to risk having 33 gallons of water end up on my living room floor. The replacement tank has center braces on both the top and the bottom (different manufacturer) so I feel much safer now. ^_^

But if I ever want to upgrade this tank I'll definitely keep your idea in mind!
fishlover25
Members

PostPosted: 2009.02.05(Thu)12:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

what does bowing out mean ? my tanks sticks out in the front is this dangerous. like the glass is popping outas if the tank is to full and is blowing up
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2009.02.05(Thu)13:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bowing out means the tank glass is too thin to hold the water pressure. If a tank does this it needs replacing.
As an interim measure the water level can be lowered by a significant amount to reduce the pressure.
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY) All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: