Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
New / Old tank set up
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
wespastor
New Members

PostPosted: 2008.10.12(Sun)17:55    Post subject: New / Old tank set up Reply with quote

OK There is a first time for everything...
I am on the verge of getting a used tank.
It will come with about 3 inches of sand, Light hoos and some sea grasses and hitch hiking copepods I hope.
When this tank gets full set up with water, How shall I consider this system, As a new system not cycled or a partially cycled tank?
Advise comments please?
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2008.10.13(Mon)23:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the tank is already cycled and established, then you can hopefully keep it going after you move it, just watch out for ammonia spikes and allow the system to settle down for a couple weeks before adding new livestock. Sometimes when an older tank is disturbed it can create a release of nutrients and bacterial blooms from the substrate, be prepared to do several water changes during the settling period. Water tests will confirm your redux environment is safe. More below from my archives...

MOVING LIVESTOCK

From your post it's not clear how far away the new location is... 10 minutes, an hour, 8 hours? As long as the main tank is allowed to settle for a week or two before re-introducing the fish you might be okay. Capturing and moving fish one time is stressful. Capturing and moving them twice is a LOT of stress.

Also, I would not move the tank unless it is almost empty, no heavy rocks, no water, no major weight. (yes, I realize it can be done, I just wouldn't do it that way; seen too many seam leaks and cracked glass panels in my day, thank you).

If it's cold, make sure you place the bags into styrofoam fish boxes designed for this, usually available at your LFS, and if the move is more than an hour you can rent a small medical grade oxygen tank to fill the bags. Not sure about the value of your collection; for just a few inexpensive fish like damsels it may be less trouble to take them to your LFS and start over after the move.
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: