Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
My Dumpster Tank: Betta Sorority (pics & video)
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Forum Index > Photo Album  Reply to topic   Post new topic
nikelodeon79
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.10.05(Sun)18:23    Post subject: My Dumpster Tank: Betta Sorority (pics & video) Reply with quote

Here's the 26g tank I went dumpster diving for, all set up:

I would enter it in the "cheap tank challenge" but I spent a crap load on everything other than the tank/stand (lighting, bettas, plants, etc). The "top" to the tank was also free. It is this thin plexiglass stuff that was on top of a map at our church. I stole it (well, I asked first LOL).

Here are the feesh (all female bettas imported from Thailand):

Briseis - orange dragon halfmoon plakat

Celaeno - red dragon butterfly halfmoon

Gaia - blue mustard halfmoon plakat

Polyxena - green dragon halfmoon plakat (sorry about the dirty glass Embarassed )

Rhea - orange gold copper crowntail

Some random pics:

"We be shiny!"

"Make sure you photograph our best sides!"

Video to come as soon as it's uploaded!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
mac
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.10.05(Sun)18:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
Well nik you have turned you dumpster tank into a tank of wonderful quality. I like the planting theme, and the way you have set it out.

Also you Betas look wonderful.

mac
nikelodeon79
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.10.05(Sun)18:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the video:
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
UncleWillie
Advisors

PostPosted: 2008.10.05(Sun)19:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holey moley, Nik! Beautiful. Did you add all those plants just now? I bet that was a bit of an expensive addition. But the tank looks great!
nikelodeon79
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.10.05(Sun)19:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

UncleWillie wrote:
Holey moley, Nik! Beautiful. Did you add all those plants just now? I bet that was a bit of an expensive addition. But the tank looks great!

Thanks! I got some of the plants from the LFS, others from an online order from sweetaquatics.com and still others from my recent "fishventure" with Jun and betsyann07 to some nice fish stores in St. Paul, Minnesota.

It was a bit expensive... and now I'm extremely nervous because my ferts have not come in. Rex Grigg (where I ordered my ferts) has been sick and therefore hasn't been able to ship any orders out. He was able to ship out some orders recently but I'm not sure if mine was included. I also need to order some GH booster because I'm hovering right around 4 right now and that probably will go down once I set up my DIY CO2 (hopefully tomorrow).
SOletsgo
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.10.17(Fri)12:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any updates to be had? I really love Gaia's coloration.
nikelodeon79
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.10.20(Mon)21:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update!

I've been running the DIY CO2 since October 12th. My plants have grown amazinginly well. It's starting to get really packed in there.

I have some random algae and some weird fungassy stuff on the wood. I'm going to take the wood out and scrub it tomorrow when I do a water change, and will start dosing dry ferts tomorrow as well!

I'm considering removing the big apon (takes up the entire left side of the tank). It's really taking over and while I love the extra hidey holes it provides for the females, I'm not loving the way it's blocking the light from reaching all the rest of the plants (especially the dwarf hairgrass and microsword). I have another tank (my 55g corydora tank) that I'm considering moving it to. What do you guys think?
UncleWillie
Advisors

PostPosted: 2008.10.21(Tue)7:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, Nik, WOW! Those plants have really filled in. I'm sure the CO2 had a lot to do with it. Yeah, that apon is rather humongous. Because I like hairgrass so much (although I've never had any) I say move it to get them some more light. BUT, are you going to have room in the cory tank? Smile
I love seeing plants grow and having a tank full of them, and I have removing and trimming and seeing so much get thrown away, but sometimes you just gotta bite the bullet.
I think if you remove the apon, your grass will be happier, plus you could always spread out a bit of your others and let them fillout out a bit.

I think your tank looks incredible and it is such a nice mixed stew of plants.

I, too, will get a bit of a gray fungus looking thing on my driftwood when I first add it or when they switch tanks. I used to think it was a type of black beard algae, and used to scrub (which worked), but other times it has just melted away in a week.
nikelodeon79
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.10.21(Tue)7:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a few new bettas that I'm thinking of adding to my sorority. They're from Petco, and I'm paranoid about them infecting my Thai breds with something so I've held off adding them. I'll probably quarantine them for a solid month. I got them on October 4th, so not too much longer to wait. I'll probably remove the apon right before adding the new girls, because it's a good idea to break up the territory so the current girls don't attack the new ones too viciously. Shocked

I feel like my ludwigia will grow a lot better if I take the apon out, too. Hopefully that won't take too long to fill in so I have more hiding spaces for the bettas.

I've scrubbed the driftwood once and then it got all fungassy again. Sad Hopefully this time it stays away!
cichlidboy22
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.10.21(Tue)15:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

are you going to breed any of those gals? They would make some nice little babies. Smile

(\__/)
(='.'=)
('')_('')
 Forum Index > Photo Album All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to: