Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Purple Tilefish
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Mike612
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2008.10.14(Tue)17:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's been a little over a week since I got this guy. He is now always out and about, swimming with the cardinals and clowns. He only goes into hiding when he sees me, unless I'm feeding him. He eats everything I offer with gusto!

Again, thanks for your help FloridaBoy. You were a big help.
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2008.10.14(Tue)18:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad it worked out, hopefully others will read your info and benefit...
Mike612
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2008.10.14(Tue)22:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have much experience with the fish yet, but in a few months when I have more knowledge, I'll submit a profile for the marine gallery.
Mike612
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2008.10.19(Sun)7:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do Tilefish only jump out of tanks when they're scared or are they known to dart upwards in the wild, which unfortunately leads to carpet surfing in captivity? When I had my fish in the bag, I remember that before he ever jumped out of the water, he would always stick his head out initially, like he was feeling to see if anything was preventing him from jumping. Then he would circle around in the bag to wind up and then finally he would jump. I was watching him a bit more carefully yesterday and I noticed that he wasn't trying to jump out but he was sticking his head out of the water a bit. Thankfully the tank is completely covered so any attempt he could've made wouldn't have been successful. Now I'm curious to know why a Tilefish would dart to the surface without the nerves or stress to jump out of the tank.
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2008.10.19(Sun)10:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know it's strange isn't it, I think when they are frightened in the wild they usually go down not up. What you have there with tilefishes is actually a deep water burrowing species, they will hover over a burrow or den of coral rubble on the bottom, quickly diving into the burrow as a typical fright reaction. In this regard they remind me a little of the Yellow Head Jawfish, which is also a sand burrowing fish, yet I have witnessed the Jawfishes also resort to wild panics and "tail walking" with their heads poking out around the top of the tank trying to escape. I suspect a combination of the shallow depth, typical aquarium lighting and perhaps the reflection on the surface confuses these deep water animals.
Mike612
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2008.10.19(Sun)16:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the funny note, I have a Yellowhead Jawfish in my seahorse tank and he shows no sign of wanting to jump. He's always in or around his den. Maybe you're right though. Maybe it's the deepness and the lighting in the tank that's confusing it. The jawfish probably isn't confused because his tank's covered in macroalgae so he can't really see his reflection and the lights themselves cover his den pretty well. Hopefully he'll stop messing around with me. When I see him at the surface, I advance towards the tank to spook him back into his hole.
Mike612
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2008.10.22(Wed)21:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had my hand in the water today. My clowns were nipping at me as usual for food and surprisingly the tilefish came right up to me also and let me pat him a bit. He never swam away or anything.
Mike612
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2008.11.16(Sun)1:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's dead. He was doing really well. He ate properly, swam properly, got along with his tankmates, etc... but unfortunately, even though my tank was covered, he found a way out around the back near my protein skimmer.

I won't be keeping a tilefish again. They're too stressful. I was always afraid that he would jump out while I was cleaning the tank since he never went into hiding while I siphoned and cleaned the glass. I should be allowed to clean my tanks without worrying about things like that.
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2008.11.16(Sun)12:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear that, but thanks for posting.
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to: