Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Saltwater easier to keep than freshwater?!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
art_of_war
Members

PostPosted: 2009.03.02(Mon)17:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah,

I had to clean this one up to. You guys don't deserve to see such beauty.

Last edited by art_of_war on 2009.03.04(Wed)18:46; edited 1 time in total
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2009.03.04(Wed)18:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gents, for the second time, I have cleaned up some of those comments...
I will be watching for any more personal attacks, name calling or cheap shots at other members on this forum, please abide by the forum agreement and respect one another... if you have a personal gripe with another member, step outside and settle it elsewhere, thanks.
AquaGirl1982
New Members

PostPosted: 2009.03.05(Thu)11:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an interesting thread. and I have to whole heartedly agree with Dusko. I've been keeping fish since I was 6 years old and got my first 10 gallon tank for x-mas. my dad got me into the hobby and was keeping saltwater tanks.. well it must be close to 30 years ago. It's amazing to talk old shop with him (he hasn't had a tank since I was a wee munchkin.) and compare the leaps not only in technology in the industry but KNOWLEDGE. And I stress this word because If you take what you've learned, apply it to how you live. You will find the "perfect" set-up for you. be it freshwater or saltwater. and anyone who tells you they know everything in this hobby just like anyother is lying. I had saltwater for a few years "It was cool" maintained my tanks as I did my FW except the feeding requirements and minor differences in chemistry. I was told not to get a pair of false clowns, they would fight, and those 2 alligator pipefish where impossible to keep alive for any amount of time. Well I came home on 2 seperate occasions to not only find I had a pair of clowns, useing my sponge filter as a nesting site, but a male pipefish releaseing young fry. being "told" neither of these fish would breed in captivity I was ill prepared and lost the initial fry of both. Vacations and power outages... convinced me to return to FW a few monthes later ( and invest in a few battery operated air stones Wink ).

Discus make me go O.o... omg thats way to challengeing!

It's not neccisarily that one is harder then the other. It's also to the point of what creatures you intend to keep.

Or aren't Fish just all fish?.....
AndyM
New Members

PostPosted: 2009.03.05(Thu)14:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://s171.photobucket.com/albums/u312/plantbrain/?action=view&current=resized16000Oct3.jpg
http://s171.photobucket.com/albums/u312/plantbrain/?action=view&current=Resized1600galOct.jpg

As you can see, no real beauty here, heck I can't understand why anyone would waste their time with such a boring, monochromatic display as this.....

Anyway, regardless of preference, either type can be as challenging as we want/make it, and as beautiful as we want/make it, period.
art_of_war
Members

PostPosted: 2009.03.05(Thu)17:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah. Just too bad they're not yours, huh?
AndyM
New Members

PostPosted: 2009.03.05(Thu)18:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, nor are they yours, nor did I claim they were mine. One day I hope to have the knowledge, experience and resources to put together a piece of art such as that, but until that day I will continue to learn with the understanding that I don't know all there is to know, a piece of humility that serve a few people well.
art_of_war
Members

PostPosted: 2009.03.05(Thu)18:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyM wrote:
No, nor are they yours, nor did I claim they were mine. One day I hope to have the knowledge, experience and resources to put together a piece of art such as that, but until that day I will continue to learn with the understanding that I don't know all there is to know, a piece of humility that serve a few people well.

No. You're right, I don't keep Freshwater. Nor did I bother to click on that link either. But the pictures I posted...are my own work. So, you keep learning and continue to humble yourself.
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2009.03.05(Thu)22:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyM wrote:
http://s171.photobucket.com/albums/u312/plantbrain/?action=view&current=resized16000Oct3.jpg
http://s171.photobucket.com/albums/u312/plantbrain/?action=view&current=Resized1600galOct.jpg

As you can see, no real beauty here, heck I can't understand why anyone would waste their time with such a boring, monochromatic display as this.....

Anyway, regardless of preference, either type can be as challenging as we want/make it, and as beautiful as we want/make it, period.

That is a beautiful planted display...
I love the way the plants go up the back wall.
Dusko
Moderators

PostPosted: 2009.03.06(Fri)3:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
That is a beautiful planted display...
I love the way the plants go up the back wall.

That planted tank is created by Tom Barr himself (for his client) Very Happy I don't have to explain who Tom Barr is, do I Wink
Everything I got to learn about the ecology of the planted aquarium came from him (also Diana Walstad).
You can meet him on www.barrreport.com
Tom is also AoA member, username Plantbrain (Advisor)

Peace to all, Dusko
New Members

PostPosted: 2009.03.06(Fri)9:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom is one of, if not the, most knowledgeable individuals in the hobby, I have learned a ton from him and his forums. He has many tanks of that quality and diversity, top notch stuff.
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Jump to: