Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
gorgonian?
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals  Reply to topic   Post new topic
art_of_war
Members

PostPosted: 2008.10.06(Mon)9:54    Post subject: Re: gorgonian? Reply with quote

bowkry wrote:
can anyone tell me what this is? I can't find it in any book
http://ca.msnusers.com/bowkry
then click pictures

a blueberry gorgonia? Like floridaboy mentioned; they are HARD to keep. I know; I tried. They are BEAUTIFUL; non-photosynthetic filter feeders. Blue polyps attached that open up and look gorgeous. I've never had luck with gorgonias (non-photosynthetic) ones. They require high flows; a ton of phyto and a LOT of luck.

Let me tell you a story of what I did: I did a ton of research before purchasing one and I figured with the level of care I could provide, I was certain I could do it. It was doing great for a full 2 months (full polyp extension) gorgeous coral. I was feeding it cyclo and phyto- almost every other day if not EVERY day. Suddenly I had the absolute WORST cyano-bacteria bloom imaginable! It was horrible! No matter how much flow I had available in my tank, it wasn't enough. Even my SPS was partially covered in that red crap. I had NO choice left, I had to leave my lights off for 3 days and run Chemiclean. My skimmer went nuts and most of my SPS browned out. I don't recall all the exact details but from now on, I would never buy non-photosynthetic corals (especially complex filter-feeders like gorgonias or chilli's).

The only reason I wanted the blueberry and redsea gorgonia was b/c of how gorgeous they were; the photosynthetic ones weren't very attractive but I've been considering them a lot more lately. Just my take.
bowkry
Members

PostPosted: 2008.10.07(Tue)22:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the responce right now I am direct feeding it and It looks amazing I hope It keeps it up
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to: