Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
no nitrate?
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry  Reply to topic   Post new topic
FISHBOY3
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.09.22(Mon)17:18    Post subject: no nitrate? Reply with quote

I was wondering why my FO tank has no nitrates whenever I test it. I know the test kits work as I have used them on other tanks and had results of 5, 10 and 20ppm but every time I test my FO tank it has no nitrate. The tank is 1 year old and currently contains 2 common clowns, 1 blue tailed wrasse, 1 pyjama cardinal and 1 orange firefish. I carry out a 15% water change every 2 weeks using aquaone aquasalt and tap water (my tapwater contains no nitrate). My tank is filtered by an aquamedic biostar flotar which is a skimmer and biowheel in one and also by an aquamedic powerfilter pf1000. Any ideas why there is no nitrate.
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2008.09.22(Mon)19:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, just guessing but probably because...

1. your skimmer is effectively removing wastes before they are converted to nitrate.

2. In addition, you're replacing about one third percent of the water every month, and that's helping too.

3. You probably take care not to overfeed your fish.

What is the depth of your substrate and what type of substrate are you using?

At any rate, it's a nice problem to have, figuring out why you have zero nitrates... Laughing
FISHBOY3
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.09.22(Mon)20:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

My substrate is caribsea aragonite and is around 2 cm thick. I don't think it would have denitrifing properties because it is so thin and each time I do a water change I also syphon it. The skimmer is also rated for up to 250l so it is probably very efficient. This is probably the best fishkeeping problem I have ever had. Smile
Thanks for your help FloridaBoy. Very Happy
art_of_war
Members

PostPosted: 2008.09.23(Tue)8:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

no nitrates...hmm. So, what's the problem?
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2008.09.23(Tue)12:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

FISHBOY3 wrote:
My substrate is caribsea aragonite and is around 2 cm thick. I don't think it would have denitrifing properties because it is so thin and each time I do a water change I also syphon it.

Ahhh, yes---another reason for low nitrates, you are keeping a thin substrate and cleaning it too, your good husbandry is paying off for you.
In my opinion, many marine systems nose dive because of 3 and 4 inch substrates which turn into nutrient sinks over time.
FISHBOY3
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.09.23(Tue)17:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks everyone
Quote:
no nitrates...hmm. So, what's the problem?

there wasn't a problem, I was just curious why I didn't have any nitrates as I have read about people experencing difficulties with them.
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: