Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Thinking of turning my 25g H tank into a saltwater
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
MarkLehr
Moderators

PostPosted: 2009.01.25(Sun)17:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paleofish wrote:
I know 5g are a lot less stable then bigger body's of water, But as long as I keep a eye on the Salty of the water (which is why they say to go for a bigger tank), Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate. Everything will go smooth.
Smile

There are a lot of parameters of importance in a saltwater aquarium, far beyond the basics you list. For example, the relationship of calcium and magnesium to alkalinity and pH can not be overstated. We spend most of our time talking about the basics because these are the areas that can quickly become problems. However, there are a lot of other parameters that slowly go wrong, and it is these that make large aquariums more stable.

It is certainly possible to keep a 10 gallon marine, if you just want something to tinker with. However, you need to realize going into this that changes will occur quickly. One day everything may test perfect and look perfect. The next morning you may have one of two small green bubbles, and ask youself what it is you are looking at. Then, before you have a chance to watch the progress, your substrate and live rock are suddenly covered with cynobacteria.

This hobby is not about salinity and Nitrate readings. It is about having the experience to look at an aquarium and just realize that something is not quite right. In bigger aquariums you have more time to react and ask for help. You can do a 10 gallon, but you would be better to find more space.
Miss Priss
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.01.26(Mon)1:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will warn you away from doing a 5 gallon! I did it, nothing disasterous happened but it was harder than HECK to clean and rearrange and I have very small hands. That thing was just nothing but a tiny little pain in the @$$. I would do a 10 over a 5 any day but I think a 20 long would be very pretty Very Happy !
Sad Heart
Members

PostPosted: 2009.01.26(Mon)9:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 10 gallon. Is there a good way to do some tests(humane of course) to get some experience before tackling a 30 gallon? Maybe growing some live substrate/rock?

Could I use a radiant heater and an UGF? This sounds like a difficult set-up, But I already have most of the equipment and if I learn the hard way the better set ups should be easier.

Dean
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2009.01.26(Mon)10:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miss Priss wrote:
That thing was just nothing but a tiny little pain in the @$$...

Laughing Laughing Laughing I've never heard it put quite that way before...
Miss Priss
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.01.26(Mon)18:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Sorry but that's what it became in my eyes! I couldn't "get around" in that tiny tank for anything. Almost mpossible to get a net in there to catch anything, almost impossible to suction the sand, and TONS of work! Not good memories of that one.
Osprey
Advisors

PostPosted: 2009.01.26(Mon)20:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have a 10 gallon. Is there a good way to do some tests(humane of course) to get some experience before tackling a 30 gallon? Maybe growing some live substrate/rock?

You should start with the 30g. Equipment costs are about the same, but a 30 gallon tank is waaaay easier to maintain than a 10 gallon. More water volume=more stability.
In any case, the first thing you should acquire is this:
http://www.amazon.com/Conscientious-Marine-Aquarist-Commonsense-Successful/dp/1890087025
Bob Fenner does give advice on how to run a Fish-Only system with a UGF, if that's the way you want to go. Wink
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to: