Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
reverse osmosis unit
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Aquaman212
New Members

PostPosted: 2008.09.21(Sun)12:45    Post subject: reverse osmosis unit Reply with quote

hello I am going to be setting up my first reef tank and have read on several sites that I need a reverse osmosis and deionizing unit. I have shopped around and now know they are pricey. I use well water and was wondering if I could use that? or if I could use something that is cheaper. Thanks in advance for any help Very Happy Question
art_of_war
Members

PostPosted: 2008.09.26(Fri)8:16    Post subject: Re: reverse osmosis unit Reply with quote

Aquaman212 wrote:
hello I am going to be setting up my first reef tank and have read on several sites that I need a reverse osmosis and deionizing unit. I have shopped around and now know they are pricey. I use well water and was wondering if I could use that? or if I could use something that is cheaper. Thanks in advance for any help Very Happy Question

RO/DI units are great. But everything is going to depend on the type of system you wish to set up (aquarium-wise). If you intend on setting up a simple FO (Fish-Only) system or a FOWLR (Fish-Only-With-Live-Rock) then it wouldn't be necessary. I would get your well water tested first. I used to live in a Suburban area and since there was no public water supply, I had to use well water. You might want to test the water first for things like pathogens, TDS, BOD, whatever to make sure it is usable for aquariums. If it's a natural artesian aquifer, you should alright and the best part may be that you might not have to treat it with a softener since well water has a natural carbonate hardness but that issue isn't all that important for a FO or FOWLR tank.

An RO/DI unit is most valuable when you get into the realm of Reef tanks. The purest quality of aquarium water always starts here. Corals grow faster, more colourfully and you'll have a wider margin for error when it comes to Nitrates and Phosphates as some public water supplies and well systems do have slight trace levels even at detection level.
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: