Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Light Sufficiency and Quality
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
wespastor
New Members

PostPosted: 2008.09.18(Thu)10:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

art_of_war wrote:
What I'm asking might sound strange but, your setup is rather "odd". First off, last I checked, seahorses are pretty and all but you need "calmer" water for them but I'm not into ponies either so I'm not one to critique. Second, I keep SPS and I know for a fact that T-8 bulbs are only good for "colour" and "lower light needing" LPS and softies and plants. If you intend on keeping SPS, you may want to look into T-5's or even Metal Halides. Third, SPS do require some bit of indirect if not direct water movement; as most corals get their nutrients from the water column and being SPS, it may be hard to keep both ponies and SPS together but like I said, I'm not an expert on horses.

Lastly, don't take this the wrong way, but you might want to consider constructing a sump system instead and keep your macroalgae and ponies down there rather than the main system. That way you CAN keep ponies; maintain low nitrate levels and enjoy a nice SPS tank.

OK seeing how I cannot upload my drawing to this site I'll try to explain.

A 55G display tank and at least a 10G sump possibly a 20 something depends on whether it will fit under my base or not. The tank will have some, not very many, of the plants as indicated. This is a master list from which I will make a final cut once I have done further research on them. Right now I will be definately going with the Manatee Grass of which the Dwarf Sea Hosre (DSH) lives among. There may be other macro algae for color and depth for the overall appeal of the tank. There will be a mid-tank high pile of dead rock which will serve both as a "lagoon area with little to no flow and as decoration. The flow in the tanks will only be about four times an hour (about 200 gph). There will be an overflow surface skimmer to the sump below and in the sump will be a Bak-Pak 2 protein skimmer,poly filter media rubble rock or ceramic bio-media for micro-cultering of copepods, and cheteo for the filtering out of nitrates. this will the flow through a bubble baffle to the return pump to the tank.

I am still trying to work out the lighting for both the display tank and the sump. Which is why this post is here.

If some could direct me to the better product to use for my situation I then could make further evaluation as to which bulbs will rear which plants and to what degree.

I only vaguely understand lighting. as it relates to these maro algae. And this is where the rub is I fully understand the watts per gallon rule of thumb but that does not help me with my specific situation.

I would rather keep DSH than macro algae if the lights to keep the macro algae will have a tendancy to stressout the DSH.
art_of_war
Members

PostPosted: 2008.09.26(Fri)9:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

wespastor wrote:
art_of_war wrote:
What I'm asking might sound strange but, your setup is rather "odd". First off, last I checked, seahorses are pretty and all but you need "calmer" water for them but I'm not into ponies either so I'm not one to critique. Second, I keep SPS and I know for a fact that T-8 bulbs are only good for "colour" and "lower light needing" LPS and softies and plants. If you intend on keeping SPS, you may want to look into T-5's or even Metal Halides. Third, SPS do require some bit of indirect if not direct water movement; as most corals get their nutrients from the water column and being SPS, it may be hard to keep both ponies and SPS together but like I said, I'm not an expert on horses.

Lastly, don't take this the wrong way, but you might want to consider constructing a sump system instead and keep your macroalgae and ponies down there rather than the main system. That way you CAN keep ponies; maintain low nitrate levels and enjoy a nice SPS tank.

OK seeing how I cannot upload my drawing to this site I'll try to explain.

A 55G display tank and at least a 10G sump possibly a 20 something depends on whether it will fit under my base or not. The tank will have some, not very many, of the plants as indicated. This is a master list from which I will make a final cut once I have done further research on them. Right now I will be definately going with the Manatee Grass of which the Dwarf Sea Hosre (DSH) lives among. There may be other macro algae for color and depth for the overall appeal of the tank. There will be a mid-tank high pile of dead rock which will serve both as a "lagoon area with little to no flow and as decoration. The flow in the tanks will only be about four times an hour (about 200 gph). There will be an overflow surface skimmer to the sump below and in the sump will be a Bak-Pak 2 protein skimmer,poly filter media rubble rock or ceramic bio-media for micro-cultering of copepods, and cheteo for the filtering out of nitrates. this will the flow through a bubble baffle to the return pump to the tank.

I am still trying to work out the lighting for both the display tank and the sump. Which is why this post is here.

If some could direct me to the better product to use for my situation I then could make further evaluation as to which bulbs will rear which plants and to what degree.

I only vaguely understand lighting. as it relates to these maro algae. And this is where the rub is I fully understand the watts per gallon rule of thumb but that does not help me with my specific situation.

I would rather keep DSH than macro algae if the lights to keep the macro algae will have a tendancy to stressout the DSH.

I'm a little confused at your setup. For a 55 gallon, your system seems rather complex. I wouldn't use bio-rings (which sounds like you're attempting) as they will most likely produce tons and tons of nitrates (but, that may be what you want since you're keeping Macroalgae). In reality, you really don't want "little to no" flow in your tank since dead areas become unsightly but again, the algae thing.

I'm sort of at a loss here. It's my understanding that algae grows anywhere and in most lighting conditions. I try not to keep SPS and algae together in the same tank since algae will proliferate if left to their own devices where as SPS coral require more attention. Often times, algae can outgrow and outcompete corals for photosynthesis. A lot of cases, certain algae isn't consumable by most fish. The flow issue is another concern. Lagoons do have "some" hard coral but SPS require medium to heavy flow. Not to mention, T-5's to Metal Halide system lighting. We haven't even gotten to pH issues either.

What most people don't know is that algae and mangrove may consume nitrates and release oxygen back into the water which is good (completing the Nitrogen cycle). However, when the lights go out, you'll be introduced to a whole new world of what we hobbyist call, "pH swings".

You may want to draw this out for me to better visualize since I'm not getting a very good or positive mental picture. You seem kind of new to the hobby but it sort of appears that you did some of the research. However, you may be getting a little in over your head with the inclusion of macroalgae, delicate corals, complex crucial light fixtures and sea creatures that are a little bit difficult to care for (ponies).
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to: